New Beginnings - Shine Paek *

Shine burst through the surface of the water, gasping for air as her head emerged. The surroundings came into focus, and she scanned the area with a mixture of confusion and anger. How could Calvin just let go of her hand like that? Was it something she said?

 The rage in his eyes and the deep-seated hatred she sensed from him only fueled her questions. Something had changed between them, and a sense of disorientation clouded her mind.

As she struggled to stay afloat, Shine's thoughts felt muddled and foreign, as if they were not entirely her own. Nothing seemed right about the situation. Her body crashed against a massive rock, jolting her senses amidst the relentless churning of the water. The current tugged at her, embracing her body and propelling her downstream.

The wind whipped against Shine's damp skin, causing her to shiver uncontrollably. Coughing violently, she fought against the resistance of the water, using her hands to propel herself forward.

Bubbles of air tickled the side of her nose and eyelids, offering momentary relief from the suffocating grip of the stream.

The once clear stream now appeared foggy and obscured, its hazy substance limiting her visibility. She kicked her feet in an attempt to free herself, but the weight of her cape hindered her movements. Water splashed into her eyes, causing a stinging sensation.

Suddenly, Shine collided with a large log stationed in the middle of the stream, the impact jabbing her stomach. A sharp yelp escaped her lips, but she summoned her strength and extended one hand to untie the string around her neck.

 Her hands were slippery, and the knot tightened with each futile attempt. The log she clung to jerked under the relentless force of the current, causing Shine to pause and gaze ahead.

The unyielding current continued to pummel her from behind, its strength intensifying with each passing moment.

"Grab the rope!" a deep voice called out from her side. "Behind you!"

Gripping the log tightly, Shine mustered her remaining energy and fought against the water, turning to face the source of the voice. And there, right in front of her, was a rope dangling within reach. Inhaling deeply, she released her grip on the log, her heart racing as it pounded against her heaving chest. 

She dove into the water, desperately reaching out for the lifeline. Her palm brushed against the rough texture of the rope, and she held on with all her might.

"Okay," she coughed, gasping for air. "Okay, I've got it!"

A powerful force pulled her to the side, and she clung to the edge of the stream, her body heaving as she struggled to regain composure. Cold hands reached out, providing support as she gasped for breath. Shine pushed aside the matted strands of hair clinging to her face, revealing a mix of exhaustion and relief.

Before her stood a boy with eyes like orbs of vibrant yellow-green, shimmering with an otherworldly glow. The hues seemed to dance within them, casting a spell of enchantment. His bare chest bore intricate markings reminiscent of delicate leaves, tracing a mesmerizing path on the sides of his stomach. 

Tattered black shorts adorned his lower half, teasingly revealing glimpses of his strong, sinewy legs. His dark green locks cascaded effortlessly, framing a mischievous smile that unveiled a set of sharp, glistening teeth. Shine's gaze shifted momentarily to his fangs, noticing their jagged edges, which added an alluring hint of danger to his otherwise captivating appearance.

 Yet, beneath her fearful expression, a hidden spark of fascination flickered, drawing her closer to this enigmatic boy.

"I don't get a thank you?" he frowned, reaching up to her neck and untying her cape. He glanced up at her. "It's amusing how you're concerned about my appearance." His chuckle carried a hint of mischief.

He can read my thoughts, he's a...

"Go on, say it," he finished removing her cape.

"An elf?" Shine whispered.

The boy held up her cape for her to take, their hands briefly brushing against each other. The green veins tracing her skin mirrored his own. He narrowed his eyes, studying her intently.

"Who...are you?" His voice now carried a serious tone. He raised his hands, conjuring a magical green bow. "What...are you?"

He aimed the weapon directly at her.

Shine's hand tightened around her wand, her trembling replaced by a resolute determination. "I am the Erthen Guard," she declared with unwavering conviction, her voice laced with authority. Drawing upon the wellspring of emotions and energy coursing through her, she instinctively knew how to harness and channel them. 

With a swift twirl, she waved her wand through the air, birthing a bow crafted from ethereal light interwoven with the essence of ancient wood. Its radiant glow mirrored the fire burning within her spirit.

"My name is Shine," she announced, her words brimming with unwavering resolve. "And I'm here to bring peace back to Reve as its protector, and to vanquish darkness that might stand in my way." The tension between them electrified the air as they circled each other cautiously, each fully aware of the formidable power they possessed. 

Yet, Shine's unwavering gaze and unyielding determination painted her as a force to be reckoned with—a beacon of unrelenting strength and unwavering courage amidst the encroaching shadows.

He blinked, his expression shifting into one of bewilderment. "I'm Andre," he stated, his voice laced with a hint of sarcasm. With a snap of his fingers, his bow dissipated into a swirling mist of vibrant green. "Well, isn't this a surprise," he mused, pinching his chin and crossing his arms. "They made it abundantly clear that there wouldn't be another generation. So, pray tell, are you the illustrious daughter of Lillian?"

His words dripped with a subtle defiance underlying his curiosity. His skepticism was evident as he sought to challenge the very foundations of what he thought he knew. Andre's posture exuded a mixture of skepticism and intrigue, as if daring Shine to prove her worthiness in the face of his cynical amusement.

Shine nodded, lowering her wand. "The next generation of Everguards has awakened." The two locked eyes, the silence between them hanging heavy in the air.