Chapter 4

Listen to Sherlock--The Music Box Collection by Lucas King while reading this. It's beautiful.

Later that day Sherlock came back to Scotland Yard once again to pick up Charlotte.

"She still hasn't spoken," Donovan stated looking at the child sadly.

"Obviously, you think things would change in one day," Sherlock asked.

"Oh shut up freak."

"Come along Charlotte," Sherlock called, ignoring Donovan as he opened the door letting Charlotte out.

Looking at her eyes he was reminded of someone he knew..or maybe someone he still knows.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It was late at night and Ms. Hudson presented Charlotte with a  brown teddy bear as a "Welcome Home," gift as she so excitedly stated. Which of course Sherlock disagreed with, saying she wouldn't stay longer than a couple of days.

"Oh Sherlock," she sighed, "I never thought you would be a father."

"I'm not adopting her Ms. Hudson," he responded for what seemed like the 50th time.

She shook her head ignoring him as she took away an empty tray from his apartment, closing the door on her way out.

Charlotte rubbed her eyes, writing in messy handwriting, "I should go to bed."

"John's room is down the hall to the left," he muttered pointing to the room while strumming his violin.

"Is that your doctor friend," she wrote on the paper.

Sherlock rose an eyebrow. She deduced more than he thought she did about him.

He nodded.

Charlotte wobbled down the hall looking at a closet on the way there, which revealed old tattered blue scarfs.

She looked to see if anyone saw her and then took one for herself, wrapping it around her new bear.

She named it Sherlock.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Here you go mummy," Charlotte said as she gave her mum and dad some bacon and eggs. She tried to hide her shaking hands not wanting to be hit again.

"What did I say about talking," the woman snapped, "you idiot. You never learn. You're as useless as you are daft."

Charlotte then ran off hearing the shattering of dishes.

Suddenly she bumped into Hans.

"You daft dimbo," he said punching her in the stomach, "You made mother angry again. You're a mistake and that's all you'll ever be," he continued punching her over and over again until-

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA," Charlotte screamed as she shot up from her, or formally John's, bed.

Sherlock shot up running towards the room concerned.

She rocked back and forth as she wrote a note trying not to scream again.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry," Sherlock read out loud, "I just had a nightmare I'm sorry  to wake you please don't," he paused.

"Please don't hit you," he asked, "or insult you like in your nightmare?"

"Both," she wrote.

It was clear then what effected her the most. It wasn't the constant beatings from her brother. It was the verbal abuse from almost everyone in her family.

"Come along," he sighed turning on the light and reaching out his hand.

Charlotte took deep breaths as she rose an eyebrow.

"We're going to watch crappy telly. Now come."

She slowly stood up taking his hand and her bear as they both sat on the couch to watch the television. Glowing in the dark night, Charlotte chuckled as Sherlock yelled at the TV who the actual father was.

But despite the yelling, Charlotte soon found herself sleeping once again, on Sherlock's shoulder, her long eyelashes and small eyelids covering her soft hazel eyes.

That's when Sherlock realized.

Why he liked her.

Why she seemed so familiar.

Because she was so much like John.

From the shortness (which was only temporary), to her eyes that have seen too much but still remained soft, and even her blonde hair and smile. It was the exact same.

If he put Elizabeth Watson (Mary and John's daughter) and her side by side they could be sisters.

He suddenly imagined Charlotte , still four, trying to convince the elder Elizabeth (who's five) to play Cleudo with her. And although it couldn't happen now, maybe someday.

And that's how he knew he found his next assistant.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The next morning Ms. Hudson found Charlotte and Sherlock sleeping side by side on the couch while the morning news played on the telly. Taking a quick picture, Sherlock shot up, careful not to wake the child up and was prepared to sign the papers.

The adoption papers.