1. A Mystery To Solve

"A true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved!" Hershel smiled as he put the last piece of the jigsaw into place. Two thousand pieces and he had solved it in record-breaking time. Ten minutes, and thirty nine seconds. A bit slow, he thought solemnly. It normally takes ten minutes, and twenty five seconds.

He sighed as he studied the quaint little picturesque village of Misthallery. Where his adventures with Luke began...

Feeling misty-eyed from the memories, Hershel decided to make himself a cup of tea. Tea is the solution to many problems, he told himself. It shall make me feel better. It will make me feel something at least.

He was pouring the hot water in the cup, disturbed by a knock at his office door. That was most curious indeed. He seldom had visitors these days. His students knew not to bother him. Dean Delmona did not even come knocking. Hershel Layton was left in peace.

He stared placidly at the door. Did he want to answer it?

"Excuse me!" piped a gravelly voice from the other side. Hershel jumped, then quickly adjusted himself. "Hershel! I need to speak to you. It is a matter of great urgency!"

Hershel studied the door for a few seconds, unsure whether to answer. He lifted his top hat off his desk, and wiping the dust off, he placed it on and walked briskly towards the door. A gentleman never leaves a cry of help unheard!

Opening the door, he stepped back in alarm as the man stumbled in the room. Dimitri Allen was the last person he expected to see.

"So terribly sorry about that, Hershel. It's just... I must speak with you!"

"Of course." Hershel studied him with caution. "Please make yourself at home. I do apologise for the mess. I have been quite busy."

Dimitri paced around Layton's office and chuckled.

"You call this messy! It's practically spotless! My office is the real disaster." He smiled at Hershel but the smile faded as he saw Hershel's grim expression.

"You cannot stop thinking of her too, can you?"

Hershel dropped his head, his hat obscuring his eyes.

"Just as well!" he continued, trying to sound cheerful, but they could both tell he was holding back tears. "Claire... Claire is the reason I came here, Hershel. I cannot just live on with my life normally. I would have been happy with imprisonment, but Clive insisted I was innocent and that I was only being manipulated. He told me that I should not waste my chance, but use my skills for the betterment of others. I intend to do so, but right now, I find that hard. I see that you have not continued with your teaching. Your office and stubble proves so!"

Hershel felt the small amount of hair on his chin. He didn't know it had grown. Dimitri looked just as exhausted and miserable as he. The two barely knew each other before the events of the past few weeks, but now they were united in their love of Claire. Her death had taken its toll on both of them.

"I hear that your apprentice, that boy, what was his name? Luca?"

Hershel gulped and then corrected him.

"Ah yes. Anyway, I heard the news of his departure. Most sad news and right after... You must be quite the man to live through all that."

"It has not been easy... But a true gentleman-"

"Just words! You seem to hide your emotions behind these expressions! A true gentleman does this! That! Sometimes you just need to embrace your feelings. A true gentleman knows when he must open up and let out those harsh feelings! I thought that by coming here, I could help us to both do that!"

Hershel studied Dimitri's desperate face and then nodded.

"I admit... Perhaps it is best if I face these inner turmoils. It should make me feel better!"

"That's the spirit, Hershel!"

Hershel gave a look as if to say 'what do we do now?' and Dimitri smiled weakly.

"Now, my friend. Now, we solve a mystery! And I have just one in mind!"

That was the last thing Hershel had expected. But then again, this was a day for the unexpected.