17. Traps And Rescues

"Just hold the rope steady and I'll do the rest. Trust me; I'm an expert at this sort of thing." Dimitri grunted, taking small steps back as the rope trailed lazily behind him.

"I don't know who you are really, but I'll take your word for it." Albert muttered in response. He was just happy knowing that he didn't have to think too hard. Apparently there was an expert here.

As the detective dragged Clive away earlier that day, all the others could do was watch and follow with concerned gazes. As they reached the station, the detective had told them to leave and so they had. But they weren't going to leave forever. Dimitri had a plan and Albert - although unsure at first - had finally agreed. He wanted to do anything to help the Professor and his friends. He was a part of their team now and that made him feel on top of the world. Who else could say they were part of Professor Layton's team?

They found some rope easily enough when visiting a store and although the two realised that they had no money, the problem was easily solved when the shopkeeper agreed to give them the rope for free if they agreed to help him with a puzzle that had in a bind for days.

The plan couldn't go in effect until that night as too many officers came in and out and they would have been seen. Until then, they decided to go and visit the Professor but were greeted by a grim sight.  The gate to the forest was blocked by Gatherer men and they could find no way around. They worried for Hershel and the others but they knew that whatever was happening, the Professor would find a solution. He always did.

They wandered the town a bit with Albert giving detailed lectures about the town's history and the people in each house. Dimitri blocked most of it out, partly as he was still worried for the others, but mostly because the young lad was just so boring. He couldn't wait for the break-in that night. They had assumed that Clive would be kept in there for a few days at least and they needed to get him out as soon as possible before Chelmey figured out who their guest really was.

They went to check the gate later on and they quickly hid behind some bins as they saw men rushing out, and in the lead: Oliver.

"Perhaps they captured him." Albert mused. He had known Oliver before anyone else. Anyone new to the town was big news to him. He knew about the wedding before Katia as he watched Oliver set up the flowers in front of the museum one evening. He could tell that was a big romantic gesture and it could only mean one thing.

"No..." Dimitri had sighed. "Look closer. He is smiling and he isn't tied up. He is leading the group. I fear that he must be one of the agents of the Gatherers... Poor Katia..."

"Maybe if we capture him we can interrogate him to find out who the leader is."

Dimitri grimaced. "You're becoming quite the violent one... No, he is too well guarded. Look," He gestured as the graceful man stepped into a car and it started to drive off.  "It’s too late anyway. Come on, let's just wait by the station. It will be evening in an hour."

"What do we do for an hour then?"

"You can tell me more of the museum and the town."

As Albert jumped up grinning, Dimitri rose slowly, his face draining of colour.

"Why did I say that...?" He muttered beneath his breath.

******

"Now just one more push... and... I'm up!" Dimitri jumped in the air in glee. He wiped off his trousers and then turned down to Albert.

"Come on!" He hissed urgently. "Now that I'm up I can help you get up faster. You're going to need to climb up the rope first though."

Albert looked up at Dimitri and wiped his brow of sweat. The roof seemed to stretch away for ages. In reality the building was actually very small.