8. A Puzzle Among Others

"Her wedding!" Hershel exclaimed.

"Why yes! Didn't you know? It's only been the talk of the town for the last two weeks!"

"Well we had only just arrived in Folsense this morning. After checking into a hotel, we came straight to visit you."

"A hotel!" Anton gasped, sitting down on the lush sofa behind him. He gestured for Hershel and the rest to do the same. "You should have come here! There are plenty of spare rooms in this fine castle!"

"Well we did not wish to impose. Although I think I would have preferred to stay there anyway. I mean no offence to you, it is just that the manager has told us how little business had been. We are his only current guests."

"That is a shame to hear... Well, I don't think you would want to be in here anyway. This place is an absolute mess and Katia has been getting to her head. She runs about the place as if there is no tomorrow!"

Hershel smiled, absorbing everything Anton said with great interest. It was amazing how well he could speak. The last time he had seen him; Anton had a rasping voice and was hunched over. He was in very fine spirits now. This wedding was having a good effect on him.

"A wedding!'  Flora squealed. "It's so exciting! Are we invited?!"

"Flora..." the Professor sighed. "We cannot-"

"Most certainly!" Anton beamed. "I would never turn down the Professor or any friend of his! Your invitation should have been sent out. Have you not received it...?"

Hershel gulped, glancing at Flora. Both knew very well he had not been attentive with his mail recently.

"Ah well," Anton said, whacking his knee. "No matter now, you are here and that's all that matters. But I forgot! Where are my manners?! I've been absent of those these last few days. Just the excitement..." Anton glanced at Dimitri, bowing. "I am Anton Herzen, and I know the Professor of course."

"Dimitri Allen." Dimitri smiled, tipping his hat to the elderly man.

"Flora Reinhold!" The young girl stated, a wide smile on her face.

"Well, now that introductions are in order..." the Professor smiled. "Who, might I ask, is the lucky man?"

"Ah, yes. He is from London, like you. His name is Oliver Strapping and he recently moved to the village a few months back. At first the two only met over his work, and then he started appearing  at social events: her birthday, mine... but then they started to see each other more and more until one day she came running to me, love hearts practically bursting out of her ears, announcing that they were to be joined in matrimony!"

"That is wonderful to hear!" 

"And SO romantic!" Flora sighed, happily.

"It is, isn't it?!" Anton grinned. "The wedding is this Saturday so that is why this place has been in quite a state."

"This Saturday..." Flora sighed, sinking back in her chair.

"That is indeed a shame..."Hershel muttered.

"A shame?!" Anton frowned. "Can you not make it, even for just an hour?"

"I'm afraid that we have to be out of town this Friday. That is when the Molentary Express is set to depart.

"Oh... Well... It would have been nice to have you there... Katia will be devastated..."

"I am sure she doesn't mind that much!" Dimitri said, brushing dirt off of his shoulder.

"Oh, but she does! Katia looks to the Professor as a hero for what he did. And a hero you are!"

"Well..." Hershel blushed.