16. Turning Point

Two months ago

"Come on, Oliver. I'm sure you can tell me. Come on. Tell me what the surprise is!"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise. Come on; just keep your eyes closed. Okay... one... two... three! Open them now!"

Katia opened her eyes instantly and fell back in awe. She was standing by the museum and the sight in front of her took her breath away. It was a cool night and it felt like one of those nights where you just wanted to go out and explore. At least, that's what Katia believed that sort of feeling was.

The flowers in front of the museum were always spectacular, but now they were unbelievable. Not only were there new flowers, new colours, but they were arranged in a large pattern. They were shaped like Katia's head. Purple flowers for her hair, pink for her skin and every other colour was where it needed to be.

"This is... this is so amazing, Oliver!"

Katia reached out and kissed Oliver passionately. He chuckled and then took her hand. He dropped to one knee then and she gasped once more that night. Too many gasps for one day she thought giddily.

What was about to happen now - at least, what it looked like was about to happen - was too much to bear. She thought of the new life she would share with this wonderful man. This was eternal, their love. They were just so perfect. She always had butterflies in her stomach when she was with him and the feeling just never passed. How Dorothea will be so proud!

"Katia Anderson..." He pulled out the small blue velvet box from his jacket pocket and she almost jumped in the spot. She could feel her cheeks burning. "Will you-"

"YES, YES! Of course I will! I love you, Oliver!"

Oliver beamed and then placed the ring on her finger. She had it ready and he laughed as he could feel her enthusiasm.

"Will you be mine for ever?"

"Yes. I never want to leave you!"

She pulled him up and then kissed him.

The kiss seemed to go on for hours. In reality it was only about a minute, but that's what feelings are like, Katia thought with a gleeful smile. They can make the smallest of moments the biggest and they are long to reflect our joy.

"Well, I suppose we better get out of the cold then, hey?" Oliver laughed.

"Nonsense, it's a splendid night and even if it was chilly then I wouldn't leave. Everything is just too perfect! I just want to run around and celebrate."

Giggling, Katia removed her shoes then ran laps around the grass. She ran through flowers - though not the ones that formed her face - and she ran until she collapsed onto the grass in a giggling fit. Oliver joined her on the grass and as he lay beside her he placed his hand in hers. She smiled at him and then looked up to the stars.

"Do you know what?" Oliver remarked, pointing to the sky.

"What?"

"Take those billions of stars and multiply that by a hundred and I still love you more than all of that!"

"How sweet." She leaned over and kissed him once more. "I love you, Oliver."

"And I love you, Katia. To our life together."

"Together!"

"Forever."

*****