10. Move On The Castle

Examining him more closely, Hershel sighed when he saw that it was not indeed, Luke. It was Clive. It took a second for the effect to sink in before he realised how much of a problem that really was.

"How can you be here...?"

Flora gulped, recalling the time where Clive had revealed himself and then kidnapped her.

"I understand what you may be thinking, but I swear I have only come here with the intention of helping you. As I have said, I intend to atone for my crimes."

"A likely story!' Dimitri exclaimed, stepping forward in anger.

"Yeah!" Flora agreed. "How can we believe you?"

"Now, now!" Hershel interrupted. "You cannot forget that it was his frustration, the grief from losing his parents that drove him to do what he did. He truly regrets what he has done."

"What the Professor says is true!" Clive said, placing a thumb against his chest. "I've come here to help you with your investigation!"

Flora remained silent, and Dimitri gritted his teeth, soon calming down as he trusted Hershel's judgement.

"Alright..." he grumbled, adjusting his hat on his head in irritation.

"Now, Clive," Hershel warned, eyes narrowing as he studied the unlikely guest. "I must ask how it is that you are here. Should you not still be in-"

"Well, you see," Clive laughed, a little uncertainty creeping into his voice. "I was uh, released only the... other day. A... psychologist came and said that I was better. Yes, much better. I was showing no signs of ill will - and whatnot. That's when I knew I could start my redemption process!" he exclaimed, standing a little taller. "I did a little sleuthing - I had become quite good at that after becoming a... reporter - and I found out that you were solving some mystery in Folsense. I got a ticket on the Molentary Express and soon enough I found you here."

"You were on the Molentary Express?" Hershel said, not swayed by his story in the slightest. "How is this so? We saw everyone in the train, plus there was ample time for you to have approached us. For example, when Dimitri and I held the train for Flora."

"That was very kind of you!" Flora stated, her cheeks going red.

"Well," Clive chuckled, guilt clear for all to see. Still he persisted. "what I mean is that I took the train from last time. The one before you!"

"That would mean you had been here for precisely two weeks, however, you clearly stated that you were released the other day."

Clive started to shift on the spot and then he sighed.

"Okay, I'll tell you the real reason. It's-"

"LAYTON! WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

The group spun once more as another familiar figure approached them. Inspector Chelmey. Following close behind was the portly constable Barton.

"Inspector Chelmey," Hershel called, taking a step in front of Clive. "it is good to see you again. What brings you to Folsense?"

"You should know why, Layton!"

"How so?"

"It's the boy, Clive. He escaped from his ward. No one knows how he did it. I've already yelled half the idiots there to death, but that get you nowhere fast." Sighing, he rests his hands on his hips. "Look, all we know is, someone from the outside got him out. He had a motorbike waiting. We tracked him to the countryside of all places. The lad was clever, sticking to side roads, even managing to give us the slip a few times."