Chapter 4

Emilia turned around to see what Ethan had meant by piece of paper , it lay there amongst the numerous folders on the floor. It would have gone unnoticed by anyone, it was an old sheet of paper which was folded in.
It seemed to have been taken from an aged book was what Emilia had concluded by its looks. As curiosity burned in her and she quickly picked up the paper and opened it. The paper was clearly torn from the edges but had been taken care of in the past.
As the paper unfolded , there was a picture , a picture of a landscape , on the very banks of the sea were a couple of trees . As Emilia squinted her eyes she noticed that right in the farther end if the paper was a small speck of brown colour which made it look like a sinking plank of wood , what caught Emilia's eye was a grey block or so she thought , very far from the shore . What surprised her the most was the fact that that piece of paper had a faint odor of something.
"True but this wasn't there when I came here today morning. The cabinet was spik and span !" Emilia reasoned.
"Someone must have dropped it." Ethan said
"And that someone must've abducted your mom !" Emilia said to which Ethan had nothing to say.
"Listen , I just need my mother back , I will jump into hell and back , I just need my mother back . She is my everything." He said sighing.
"Don't worry we'll solve this mystery and your mum will be here in no time." Emilia said putting a hand on Ethan ' shoulder.
"I better get home ." Ethan said sighing.
"Yeah. Me too , or else Ed and Nate both are gonna .... well ..... let's not talk about it shall we ?" Emilia said sighing.
"Well , give me your number , if in case you figure out anything." Ethan said
"Yeah sure. I'll keep the paper if you don't mind. You never know when you're gonna find a clue." Emilia said as she stuffed the paper in her shirt pocket and gave Ethan her number , who was jotting it down quickly.
"See ya." Emilia said
"And I hope we solve it." Ethan replied as they parted their ways.
They parted their ways and left, Emilia a bit worried , their last adventure had lead them infront of the Jury itself. As she rang the door bell, Edward opened the door and bombarded her with questions.
"WHERE WERE YOU ?" He shouted, if anyone needed a big brother Edward was a good option. He was really overprotective about Emilia and treated her like a baby.
"I told you I was at Madame Pilar's." Emilia replied
"For such a long time ! We were about to call the police." Edward said
"Sorry , Eddie." Emilia said looking down at her feet.
"It's okay. Tell me what happened." He urged .
Emilia on the other hand wasn't surprised that Ed knew something was wrong.
She noticed that the others were also curious to know , what took her so long.
She sighed and explained her situation , to which the others listened patiently and quietly.
"I guess you could say that another Journal has fallen into your hands." Regina spoke up .
They laughed but stopped abruptly as they heard a tiny voice speak.
"Eddie , I can't sleep." James said rubbing his eyes.
"Alright bud , I'll read you a special story." Ed said as he walked James to his room. The rest four of them quietly walked behind him.
"The ship sailed with might and pride , it seemed that none could put it down. El Tersoro was a beautiful ship one of the finest in Spain.
She sat on the deck with pride , but as the wind blew her hair , memories came flooding back like the waves hitting the shore. Her golden locks fluttered in the air .
I am a duchess she thought I can't think of him anymore . But she couldn't help but recall the bright sun , soft grass , lush trees and the singing of birds. How she missed that place.
But now I am returning as a different person she thought I can't think of him I have a family ...... now .
She breathed in the salty sea air , she could not forget the first time she was in the ocean.
It's not the same now , it has all changed. She kept repeating these words in her mind but even then she came back thinking of him.
She walked to the captain's cabin , on the left hand conner was a statue of Our Lady of the Sea.
She felt the statue and prayed that her heartache might fade away but her prayers didn't seem to be answered. It was very dear to her , the statue . She held it dearly in her heart.
"Madre ! See pirates !" The young boy yelled exicitedly.
She looked out of the window , there stood a dazzeling ship in the bright sun with a black flag which had a skull on it .
The whole crew was looking intenly at the pirate ship.
"I plead thee may it be not him. If so I ask of thee of one wish let this tragedy not strike my decendants." She prayed before she left to the deck.
She walked to the deck and looked at the pirate ship. Unlike her ship it was big and had several crewmen. It had cannons which were recently invented.
She knew what was going to happen.
"Pedro ! Pedro !" She called .
"Sí , madre ?" He asked .
She grabbed hold of him . She then swung the small boat into the ocean , there was very little time left . The fight had already started.
She place her son the ship.
"Madre ! Where ?" He asked .
"Go ! Go ! Go !" She cried tears rolling down from her eyes.
"Our Lady of Seas protect him ! Take him to a place where he is safe." She whispered.
"Marie....." said a voice behind her
"Lonan..." she said to the man with unruly curls and rippied pants. He wore a cloak that was unbuttoned.
"So this is what you did in the past 6 years !" He sneered still standing on the deck of his ship.
"It's not what it looks like !" She said
"Then what is it ?" He asked ," I had waited for 3 years and do you know how devastated I was when I heard the news ! How are you to know ? You moved on ...... without me " he said it was choking him to see her .
He pointed the gun at her .
"Lonan ......" she began
"No ! Why did you do this to me ?" He asked .
"Lonan please ......" she begged .
"No !" He said
"It was the only was ! It was the only way your life would have been spared !" She said but it was too late there was a sudden bang . She had been shot .
"No !" Lanon cried ," What have I done ?"
"I... deserved it ." She said
" No you didn't." Lanon cried
"I'm .... glad...... you ......could mee....et .... my...... son......... take....... care of .......... him." She saif closing her eyes.
Tears rolled down his eyes , he could not believe what he had done .
"Captain ! They're climbing our ship ! What should we do ?" Asked his loyal crew mate .
"Destroy it !" He said ," Destroy El Tersoro !"
The crew rolled the cannon ball and the ship started to sink .
The captain had just two words to say . Five words that meant the most to him , five words he wished he would have said . Five words that could have made a difference . The only five words he had learnt in Spanish .
"Te Amor , Marie Jane Aulden ." "
Edward read putting James to sleep.
"I didn't know you knew the story of Marie Jane Aulden !" Emilia said as quietly as possible so as not wake James up.
"It's one of the stories that my mother used to tell me." Edward said
"It's a very beautiful tale." Emilia confirmed
"Yeah." Ed replied
"That's an old book." Regina pointed out.
"Oh yeah. It belonged to my mother." Ed said closing the book and carefully placing it back in its box.
"Gosh , Em ! Look at your shirt ! Please give it to me for ironing." Barbera said
"Oh okay." Emilia said as she quickly grabbed onto another shirt which hung on hanger by the cupboard and walked to another room to change.
She came back a few minutes later and handed the shirt to Bera. Suddenly , she noticed something sparkly.
"Wait a minute ! Is that an engagement ring ?" She asked
"Ed proposed today at the mall." Bera nodded , her face shone with joy .
Em hugged Bera .
"Not bad." Emilia said with a smirk
"Hey ! You and I both are 23 so , it won't be long before your time comes." Bera reassured .
Emilia smiled but inside she hoped it were true , with Regina in the picture and Nate being pretty distant, proposal from his side seemed a far cry.
Emilia hadn't realised how long she had been standing and thinking until , Ed shook her from her thoughts.
"Hey ! You sure seemed very deep in thought." Edward said .
Emilia sighed and was about to answer when Barbera called .
"Hey Em ! What is this piece of paper doing in your shirt pocket ? And why is it showing me the letter 'A' ?" Barbera asked picking up the very piece of paper that Emilia had found on Madame Pilar's office's floor.
And there was just one thing in Emilia's head .
Did this paper have a secret message ?