Chapter Four- Wolf and Warrior

It took not a moment for Godric to register the form that pinned Mira to the ground as a colossal, beautiful, and yet terrible, wolf.

The creature's soft fur glistened in the dawning rays of sun, reflecting majestically down the length of its impressively large body. Its blue eyes blazed like a menacing gale, freezing the poor girl as she attempted to struggle from its grasp.

With a murderous growl, the muscular forelimb of the beast flexed powerfully as it planted itself on the girl's chest, driving the air out of her and silencing her screams. 

Godric yelled in fury and charged the animal, his dagger flashing as it was carried in a murderous arc toward the wolf's neck. The creature was stronger than he expected though, and it responded quickly, swinging his head in a forceful crescent that knocked the boy clear on his back, sending up an explosion of ash dust from the cobblestone ground.

The choking dust filled Godric's eyes and throat, leaving him sputtering and coughing, but he lashed his dagger out and felt it glance off the wolf's furry hide. The beast reeled, but recovered quickly enough to plant its left leg onto the boy's chest while keeping its powerful right leg on Mira.

The terrifying wolf lowered its head and roared ferociously, drawing back its jowls to bare its canine teeth, sending beads of saliva spewing onto the companion's faces. Its piercing eyes glowered down on the boy who tried again to strike with the dagger, but the wolf clamped its teeth down on his arm. With a shriek, Godric released the blade.

Mira writhed against the wolf's claw frantically, but the beast swung its head back to her and bared its now blood-stained teeth, inspiring such fear that she froze once again.

A masculine, coarse voice called from not far away, but behind where Godric lie so he could not see the man.

"Narn, watch it!" The wolf's ears perked up at the voice, but its legs remained pinning the two companions down. The sounds of jogging footsteps came closer and a remarkably short man came into Godric's view.

The most prominent feature of the miniscule figure was a gigantic, dark blond beard that was intricately knotted and twisted, but in such a manner that it was clear that it had been more accidental than planned. Bushy eyebrows of a similar color bristled over a pair of dark green eyes that were framed by elaborate tattoos which started from the man's glistening bald head and trailed down to his rosy cheeks. A thick plate of armor clad his bulky chest, which appeared to have a brand of some kind, but was largely hidden underneath the dense facial hair. Thick metal gauntlets clad his stocky fists, one of which wielded an immense war hammer that was etched with a multitude of unrecognizable designs and crude runes.

The man patted the wolf's side kindly and looked down on the two companions.

"Ah, let 'em up Narn. They're only children," He grumbled distastefully.The wolf glanced up questioningly, but the man nodded. With a reluctant growl, the beast stepped off them and lumbered beside the man, his shining midnight-black coat almost sparkling in the morning sun.

Godric looked up suspiciously, but the man just looked blankly at him. After only a moment, Godric quickly reached for his dagger and spin up toward the man, but he was met with a hard metal fist that sent a glance of blinding pain down his cheek as it connected with his face. He fell face-down on the stone, dropping his weapon once again.

"You have heart, boy," The man said, now smiling humorously. "I will give you that. Here," He offered Godric an armored hand, but the boy ignored him, instead standing by himself and helping Mira up. Other than being shaken, she seemed alright as was he, other than the soreness in his arm where the wolf had taken a chunk out of his forearm.

"Your hellfire wolf bit my blazing arm!" Yelled Godric.

The gruff warrior shrugged. "Yes, he tends to do that when you stab him in the neck."

"He attacked us! What in dragonfire did you expect me to do?!"

The short man shrugged once again, a look of complete indifference on his face, before he turned to Mira, who had a look of shock on her face. "You alright, lass?"

"You're...You're a dwarf!" She released her weapon and clung even more closely to her book, but gaped at the short man, who's eyes had turned dark and stormy.

"Aye, you're a bright one, aren't you?" He glowered and hefted his hammer. "So what business do two human children have it the wreckage of this god-forsaken village?"

Godric felt his face grow hot, but before he could lash out at the dwarf, Mira stopped him. "We happened to live in this 'god-forsaken' village, as you so tactfully put it."

The wolf whimpered and dropped its tail between its legs, hanging its head. "My apologies," grumbled the dwarf. "I meant no offense."

"Yes, well, that's fine of you isn't it?" snapped Godric. "By the way, while we are talking about business, what of it do you have here?"

"Instead of making friends," another voice from a ways away said, "perhaps we should be on our way, Thain." They all looked over to where the voice came from.

Standing not far away was a man leaning against a tall stone. The first detail to catch Godric's eye was the long, double-edge sword that was carried in the man's tanned hands. It was, for the most part, well taken care of, but several spots of rust showed through. Godric's eyes traced the man's powerful arm up to his handsome face. A thick mat of dark brown hair covered his head that went will with his dark, nearly black, eyes that stared intensely out over a sharp jaw. Numerous small scars covered his neck and shoulders and a single large scar marked his upper forehead, that was otherwise fine in all appearances. A shirt of scale-male covered his athletic frame that hung down to his waist, where two metal plates hung over his upper legs.

"Aye lad, you're probably right. Nevertheless, what do we do with these two?"

The man sheathed his large sword in a case that hung on his back over his right shoulder and crossed his arms. "Take them with us; we don't have time to worry about it now. The monster is already on the move. We don't have time to lose."

This seemed a satisfying answer to the dwarf, but it only succeeded to annoy Godric.

"Why should we go with you? This is our village and what we do is none of your concern." Mira attempted to calm him, but he shook her off.

"You have seen us here, that's why it's our concern." The man answered like it was obvious. "Narn, make sure they don't leave." The wolf bowed its head, as if nodding. "Thain, watch our backs and use whatever force you think is necessary, just try not to break any bones. Sarah is waiting just north of here." The dwarf grinned in a rather threatening manner, but gestured that he would follow.

The dwarf, who's name was apparently Thain, prodding Godric in the back with the flat top of his war hammer. The boy cursed quietly, but followed the already departing man. Mira, however, stood still, a determined look on her face.

"Who are you?" she demanded. The man stopped, giving her an annoyed glance.

"I've told you; there's no time to waste. We go now or we will lose track of the monster. Come!"

"No." Godric turned, still marching toward where the man now stood, his posture revealing his increasing frustration. In all the years he had known the girl, never had he heard her speak so sharply. Her face seemed calm, but her eyes flashed with a mixture of curiosity and anger. "What is the monster you are talking about? What is it that you are hunting?" The words came in almost a whisper clad in what seemed to the boy like a layer of suspicion.

Thain stopped, pointing to the girl. Narn, the wolf, crouched to pounce, but the man raised his hand. "That's not necessary, Thain. Hold, Narn." The wolf perked his ears up, but his eyes narrowed in a threatening stare at Mira. The man took several steps toward Godric but directed his eyes toward Mira. "From what I've seen, I thought you would have put that together already," he said, gesturing to the book in her hand. The title was just visible over her arm. "We hunt the demon that destroyed this village. We hunt a Dragon."