Chapter Seventeen- The King's Invitation

No one knew what to say, least of all Godric. The same thoughts could be read coming and going on the looks of almost everyone present, first confusion, then anger, graduating to fury, before mellowing into despair.

It is gone, their eyes murmured. Our one chance and it's gone.

Even Caeros seemed disturbed by the news. His normally cold, stony countenance was broken by a grim scowl and deeply furrowed brow, though whether it was from the death of his close ally or the loss of the sword, or perhaps a mixture of the two, Godric could not tell.

Ennor saw these things too. His eyes searched the room for the appropriate time to speak. When at last it came he began slowly. "I know this will come as a shock to you all. Tennillius was a fine commander and a respectable lord. His will be missed, but nothing can be done on his behalf.

"Thankfully, not so for the stolen sword. As near as my men can tell, the weapon was taken last night or this morning. The vault is, to the best of our knowledge, still intact and has not been compromised. The guards insist that they saw nothing suspicious during their watch."

"Then how," asked a fine looking lady in a flowing blue dress, "did the sword disappear? Were it not your soldiers and your seal, Ennor, placed at the entrance to the vault?"

Ennor pursed his lips. "That they were. The seal was broken last afternoon when Bewin, a merchant, entered to deposit a sizable payment owed to the city. I had not had the opportunity to replace it."

"And what do we know of the nature of these guards you chose?" asked another lord.  "Are they men of character?"

"I myself numbered among them," growled Thain. "Take that for what it is worth."

"Then how can we be sure they were even sober?" challenged Caeros. The assembly chuckled darkly. Thain sneered but bit his tongue.

"Yes, Lord Odruan, they were men of character. I would trust each and every one with my life," answered Ennor. "It is true that, as much as possible, the fact that the sword dwelt within the vault was hidden from the people of the city. As you know, the sword was wrapped and placed in a locked chest to avoid suspicion.The guards did not know the magnitude of what they held, but I have no reason to think that would compromise their abilities to protect it."

"Yet, as usual" Caeros challenged, "it was not enough. Therefore my men and the soldiers of this city have been charged with the finding of the sword and you did not even give me the courtesy of informing me of this until now?" The High Lord did little to disguise his rising rage that flushed his face.

"Immediate action was required," Ennor answered coolly. "I did not have the pleasure of consulting your guidance."

"Regardless, perhaps we should instead rely on my well-equipped, capable forces rather than your obviously unsuitable tactics. This is not the first time you have relied on yourself and failed, Ennor. When is it that we will learn from our mistakes?"

What was sure to be a conflagortory  argument was doused when the door slammed open and Theronin stumbled in. His eyes were still glazed like polished glass and his face was marked with the beating Godric had given him earlier. A gruesome crisscross of ugly purple bruises  cursed his face, but he took his place among the other lords wordlessly.

"Good lord, lad," barked Thain. "Have you been attacked also?"

Theronin glared at the Dwarf from across the room. His eyes sharpened even as Godric watched into murderous, blazing daggers. "No," the young lord answered. His word was little more than a venomous hiss. "I fell."