Chapter 36- To Arms

The whole crowd remained as stoic as the stone pillars that held the ceiling above them. What was to be said? Few exclaimed affirmative sentiments to the king's still echoing words while others began to weep softly, presumably for a family member or friend whose doom had just been sealed. 

Mira could hardly find where she fell in the emotional spectrum. Part of her found the judgment sound. On one hand, it was merciful as it gave the people freedom from Ennor's rule, which is ultimately what they had desired in rebelling. On the other, the flames and torment that were sure to be inflicted by the dragons on the untrained, undisciplined mass were almost too horrible to imagine. Not to mention the wolves and bandits that marauded the hills and plains. Do any, even a snake as venomous as Caeros, deserve such a fate? 

Sounds of marching footsteps broke the hush.

People jostled to get out of the way as a two-file train of soldiers tramped through the crowd. Unusually thick armor and shields donned the soldiers' chests and brows which were furrowed with the strain of their task. Two great chains were held by the line of soldiers, their heavy links clamoring cruelly with every step and shift. The tails of the chains scraped and hissed like a great snake against the stone floor where the soldiers let it drop, leaving a nail-biting shriek in their wake. 

Both the crowd and the soldiers starred wordlessly at the long bindings with a somber understanding. The repulsive black coils of cold steel would not remain inside the city for long. 

Even as the last coiling link of wailing metal sunk below the steps tread by the soldiers into the Lower Halls Mira found herself irresistibly drawn to follow. 

She grabbed Samantha's hand and pulled her toward the steps anxiously. "Come on." 

The other girl offered little protest though she grimaced at the suggestion. Hand-in-hand they slipped through the crowd and after the fading sound of the clamoring soldiers. 

Stepping warily down the staircase, Mira realized she had never explored this part of the city. Every brick and stone was new to her even to the rusted stanchions that clasped blazing torches. The stairway itself was wide enough - easily ten feet wide an at least as many tall. It was nothing miraculous other than a solid passage that, judging by the extensive wear and fracturing of many of the bricks, had lasted the test of time. 

As they walked Mira felt Samantha shiver against the echoes of the twisting shadows. 

"Why are we here?" the girl asked in a small voice. "I don't want to see.... this." 

Mira did not answer. She truly did not know why her feet were leading her after the train of soldiers but something inside drove her to. Maybe it was the Voice. Maybe it was instinct. Maybe it was the weaving of the Fates threading her into her destiny. Whatever it was, she was certain it was the right thing to do. 

And so they walked on. 

Not long after, the passage widened considerably and the sounds of the soldiers again could be heard. A heavy series of thuds eluded that the chains had been dropped. Voices began murmuring to one another but their words were lost in the space between them and the girls. 

"We need to get closer," Mira murmured, more to herself than to Samantha. The other girl scowled but followed fearfully. 

Creeping around the gentle curve of the staircase, Mira found herself staring at what looked to be a great cellar. The ceiling of the passage had heightened considerably and now soared to meet the top of this sizable stone barrier. Monumental steel beams ran the height and length of the wall, their bolts burying into the surface of the cracking stone. Below a pair of gates some twelve feet tall formed an enormous portal around which the soldiers now stood.