Chapter 22- Escape

The sounds of blades being drawn slashed the blanket of dead air that had filled the room. Beside him, Godric heard Matthis stand, knocking his chair back so far that it tumbled into the abyss that surround Rae-Oiron with a crash. In his hand he carried a Great Spear. Where it had come from was anyone's guess. Others who had sat before the Head Table had risen similarly, baring all forms of armament.

"Come now, my friends," Caeros hushed. "There is no need for violence here." Men from the banquet tables and the crowd had begun to come forward, carrying their swords conspicuously among the banqueters. "Your Council has voted. Now, execute your King's order."

With scarcely a sound other than the gentle whisper movement, Hilthwen rose with a small bow in her hands. Sitting firmly on the string lay an arrow pointed toward Caeros.

"I don't think so, Caeros," she declared. "Put your sword down. You are under arrest."

"Oh my child," he chided. "Do not mistake me as your enemy. Do you think I do this gratefully? It is my greatest desire that the Men of Niron find the victory we seek under Ennor's kingship, but such wishes are futile. Save your steel for the serpents that would devour your kin."

"Aye, I have one in my sites," she answered coolly. "For not all serpents armor themselves in a curtain of scales."

"Is your king reduced to arguing with children? Guards, will you not fulfill your duties? Take Ennor away and do the same with this girl who draws bow and arrow against me."

Never in the span of Godric's years would he be able to recall what sparked the flames of battle that consumed the Great Hall in those few moments. The distinct foretellers of bloodshed made themselves apparent in such an overwhelming conglomeration of chaos that his head was left spinning. The gentle yet discernible swish of Hilthwen's bowstring launched a steel arrowhead at Caeros. Simultaneously the shouts of angered men erupted as his soldiers attempted to make their way to where Ennor and Hilthwen stood but were hindered by weapon-ready opponents.

Caeros bowed and slashed his sword while Hilthwen's arrows sped toward him, effectively dodging the bolt while splitting it in two. Exclamations of pain echoed the cracking of the wood bolt as men were cut down at the hands of their combatants. The tumult of battle dominated the hall, ushering in brutal duels. Without delay the iron odor of blood saturated the air and the glistening steel worn at the sides of men were marred with the gore of their comrades.

The guards that had responded to Caeros advanced the Head Table, but they were not swift enough to avoid another of Hilthwen's arrows. Her first shaft found the first soldier just above the knee, emitting a cringing crack as the tendons were ripped away and the bone etched. Screaming, the man dropped to the ground. Matthias scaled the table without hesitation to meet the two others. His spear swung like a quarterstaff until the butt-end cracked against one man's face. The other was quick enough to lift his sword to meet the spearhead, but Matthias responded with a solid kick between his legs. The man's armor absorbed enough of the force to avoid injury but caused him to stumble backward.

Strangely even as the sounds of battle grew deafening, Theronin and many of the other Lords at the table remained seated. Many faces betrayed confused bewilderment. Among them several wore only a face of cold indifference to the gory display.

Hilthwen lowered her bow and dragged Agatha from her seat. Shoving her and Godric toward the stairs, she whispered sternly in their ears, "Go to the Council Room! We will come find you later, but you have to go now. Hurry!"

"No, I can fight!" Godric protested. "I have weapons."

"It doesn't matter. Caeros will want you. If you are dead, he has free reign to the sword. No amount of courage is going to stop that. Now go."