10: Threats

"Isabelle, please, eat something," Grant pushes a sandwich in front of me, which I immediately turn away from. "You're getting skinny. You have to eat something," He prods once again.

"I'm not hungry," I lay my head against my hand and sigh before twiddling with a strand of my hair.

He sighs and sits beside me, lowering his voice, "Look, I know Jaxon hasn't been back for a while, but that's no reason to give up. He'll be back—"

"After he gets tired of his new mate, right?" I mumble out, my voice weak.

Grant presses his lips together and stands, "You heard that?"

"Every word," Tears pool in my eyes. Get yourself together!

"He's not serious, Isabelle. He's all bark and no bite. You're his mate, he longs to be with you."

"Really? Is that why he locked me up in here?" I motion to the walls around me as I stand to my feet. My body sways to the side out of exhaustion and I barely catch myself.

Grant's eyes fill with worry and he steps up to me, "Please, Isabelle, eat. Drink something. You're making yourself sick."

"I didn't do this, Grant," My voice grows stronger, "it was him. He did this to me! You think I like torturing myself? You think I want to be this weak?"

"I-I can't do anything because all I can think about is how he's replacing me."

"If getting Jaxon here is what will make you better, then I'll do it," He says, reaching for his phone.

"What's the point? He's just going to leave again. Don't even bother. He's better off without me," I refuse and slowly make my way back to my room.

Crawling into bed, I pull the covers tight around my body and attempt to fall asleep. However, I'm haunted by hellish nightmares that leave me engulfed in a cold sweat and terror.

When my eyes finally greet the light once more, they land on Jaxon who is sitting on the side of my bed. His masculine figure looms over me and his eyes pierce into my soul.

His face is emotionless; however, I think I see a mist of concern in his eyes that quickly disappears when his gaze locks with mine.

"Isabelle," He whispers, his voice seemingly weak.

I merely stare up into his haunting eyes, wondering why he's here. "Grant called me," He mumbles, obviously eavesdropping on my thoughts.

"He said you weren't eating," His facial expression becomes harder when he says this and I want to roll my eyes. "You need to eat, Isabelle."

"What's the point?" I murmur, pulling the sheets more snug around my body.

"Really, are we going to start with this childish melodrama?" He shoots back, his voice filled with anger. I flinch at his tone and sink into the mattress.

"C'mon, you're going to eat," He beckons me, standing up from the bed.

"I'm not hungry," I reply, my gaze fixated on the window.

"Isabelle, it wasn't a suggestion," He reaches for my arm, but I hurriedly withdraw.

"No, Jaxon, no! We aren't mates anymore, ergo you can't order me around!" I exclaim, my voice unwavering for once.

"We'll always be mates, Isabelle," He remarks, standing stationary beside the bed.

"But you don't want me! That's the whole point of having a mate! To have a soulmate who wants you!"