7: Introductions

I slowly slide on the off-shoulder shirt, trying to avoid the pain pulsing through me every time I move. Jaxon apparently couldn't make his point without some bruises. I have them across my jaw line and on my shoulders and legs. They've turned a bluish-blackish color, and my concealer barely covers them.

I French-tuck the shirt into the black skinny jeans I'm wearing, then slide on a pair of black boots. Jon was kind enough to send me my belongings, seeing that Jaxon wouldn't allow me to return to collect them. "Isabelle!" Jason's voice carries through the house. "Time to go!"

I sigh, and exit the room, not even giving my appearance a second-glance. I drag down the stairs, seeing Jason, Grant, and Neil waiting patiently for me.

"Ready?" Grant asks as my feet hit the landing.

"Let's get this over with," I murmur, pushing past them and out the door.

"Don't you want to know where Jaxon is?" Neil questions as they follow me.

"Not particularly," I say monotonously, walking a few paces in front of them.

"Why not?" He pursues my negativity. I stop in my tracks, turning around to face them.

"Because," I say the word with a hint of an attitude to it, "I hate him." I say spitefully, spinning around and starting up my walk again.

They seem shocked by my response, but they quickly regain themselves and catch up with me. "Jaxon is already at the barbecue," Jason says, despite my couldn't-care-less attitude.

"Like I said, I don't care," I say harshly, not looking him in the face. Suddenly, I'm pulled to a stop by a hand on my arm—ugh, Jason.

"What?" I raise my eyebrows expectantly. "Don't touch me." I pull away from his grip and he lets me—probably because he knows Jaxon won't like someone else man handling his mate.

"Listen, pup, you're new to our pack, so you don't know exactly how things run around here. No one ever disrespects Alpha Jaxon and those who do are punished," He says formally and threateningly.

"I'm supposed to care, why?" I ask.

"Because," A new voice breaks in, and I go stiff at the sound, "You belong to this pack now, sweetheart." I slowly turn around, my eyes meeting those cold, blue stones. "And now it's time for you to meet everyone." He holds out his hand, and I don't even look down at it. He huffs, forcing me to hold his hand as he drags me on to the pack picnic. "...Ladies and Gentleman, our new Luna, Isabelle Quinn!" I hear over a sound system. Oh no.

My social anxiety gets the best of me and I stop, not wanting to break through the trees to the picnic area. "Come on, child," He chides impatiently.

"Y-You didn't say—" I squeak, but he yanks me through the forestry and into a large crowd of around five-hundred. My old pack only had one or two hundred- this must be why Jaxon is so powerful, strength in numbers.

The crowd suddenly parts like the red sea, allowing us to move to the stage. I trudge beside Jaxon reluctantly while avoiding the curious eyes of his pack.

He helps me up onto the platform, guiding me to the podium whilst the announcer steps aside for us. "Hello, Moonlight members," Jaxon says formally. "I would like you all to meet my mate, Isabelle Quinn, from Moonstone up in Tennessee. We will do a brief question and answer session," I tense up at his words.

Way to not consult me on this, I send him through our link.

He shoots me a glance, You did not want any part in being my mate, so why should I consult you? I'm about to answer back, when he pulls me up to the podium.