Chapter 4

The music had stopped and we walked in. It was a big dancing room. To the right was the big mirror. To the left many big windows. There were about 50 girls in the room. Some were sitting, some were warming up and some were coming out of the changing rooms in the very back. Next to that door was a woman with a clipboard and 4 other guys. They waved at Harry and he brought me over to them.

“Hey guys!” They all greeted Harry.

“Who’s the girl?” The lady asked. Oh, right that was me.

“Hi. My names Jessi Stonem. I-“  

“Ah, yes. The girl from America.” She wrote something down. Maybe a check, maybe a note. I didn’t care. Then she said without even looking up at me, “Go and change. You are late.”

I nodded and quickly went to change.  I put on my black sweatpants with the kiss lips, a big black baggy tank-top and I put my hair down. I always wore that to dance. I felt a little underdressed, but I had nothing else.

We warmed up. Learnt a couple of dance moves, all whilst Harry and his boys were sitting in one corner watching, talking and making notes. I sometimes looked over to see him looking at me. It made me feel like I had a bit of an advantage to be in the show for sure, but just in case I tried my best.

We were doing hip-hop. And I don’t want to brag, but that was my thing. I pretty much rocked it, and I think the lady with the clipboard had noticed. She smiled.

“Okay girls. That is it for the day. You have all done an amazing job. We will see you all tomorrow and then split you into the groups.” She said, and with that, she was out the door.

Whilst all the girls would whisper to each other and waved at the One Direction boys, I headed to the changing room to change back. I came out, and I noticed that I was the last person there. As I walked out the entrance door, I saw Harry leaning against the railing outside. He jumped up when he saw me and walked towards me.

“Hey.” He smiled and put his hands in his pockets.

“Hey.” I smiled back. He waited for me. How cute.

“You are an amazing dancer you know.”

“Thanks.”  I said silently and looked down at the floor, then back up into his eyes. There was a moment of silence before I said. “Did you want something?”

He looked down and scratched his head. “Oh, yeah. Well, um, the guys and I are having a One Direction welcome party for some of the new dancers tomorrow night. You know, to get to know them and stuff. Just wanted to ask if you would like to come.” He was probably expecting a no. Ha, he didn’t know me at all.

“Party? I’m in.” I grinned.

“Great!” He was relieved. “Can I have your phone number? I’ll text you the details later.”

Cheeky. “Sure.” I took out a pen, took his hand and wrote my number in his palm. I also wrote Jessi, just incase he didn’t remember. And just to be a little flirty, I made the dot on the i a heart shape.  I came to England to change, but not to become a fricken nun. Everyone deserves a little bit of fun, right? “There you go. I gotta go now. See you tomorrow.” I smiled, got on my skateboard and road away down the street.

Wow, today was really not that bad after all. I could actually get used to this.