About Damn time

Chapter 12

Looking up, I saw Iron Man fly past the tower, a trail of Chitauri on his six.

During my short moment of being side-tracked by Tony, a white hot blast flew past my left cheek, scorching my skin. I hissed in pain as the Chitauri fired again, this time catching my shoulder. "God damn it!" I yelled, rolling out of the firing, and behind an abandoned yellow taxi. I pressed the palm of my hand against the wound, wincing at the pain of the pressure. I took a few deep breaths, as the pain from my cheek and shoulder started to ebb away as they healed. After waiting for the firing to die down, I risked a quick glance over the Taxi. There was at least 10 chitauri standing there, waiting for me to leave the safety of the taxi barricade, weapons trained on me. With a small yelp, I ducked back down again, just as the blue energy beam whizzed over me, exactly where my head had been a second earlier. I cast a quick look down at my shoulder to make sure that it was reasonably healed. There was no longer a burned wound, but just a scar, that was fading away as I watched on. Taking a moment to work up some confidence, I steadied my breathing, and leaped over the hood of the taxi. Before the Chitauri could even fire a shot, I shot first, golden aura'd throwing stars flying from my palm as I swiped my hand in front of me. I hit all ten of them easily, throwing with the precision Clint had taught me when I was younger. The stars lodged themselves in the throats of the Aliens, all of them collapsing down to the ground almost in unison. With a quick flick of my fingers, the stars disappeared from their necks, leaving bloody gashes in their place. I wrinkled my nose slightly in disgust at the sight of the torn flesh. "Ew."

"Stark, we're heading north east." Natasha's voice said over our comms.

"About damn time." I muttered to myself.

"What, did you stop for drive-thru?" Tony sassed. "Swing up Park, I' m gonna lay 'em out for you." Tony banked around his tower, and then swooped down onto the street I was on, pulling up a second before he would have hit the concrete, causing one of the chitauri that were currently tailing him to crash, the chariot he was riding going up in a fireball, taking its rider with it. As Tony flew over my head, I took down three of the Chitauri, but there was still a large number of them behind him. The quinjet flies into view, its machine gun ready and aimed behind Tony. Presumably, Natasha had control of the gun, and she fired at the remaining chitauri. I flew upwards, towards the portal. When I was close to the portal's entrance, I threw my hand out in front of me, concentrating hard on my telekinesis. One by one, the nearest chitauri chariots power sources shut off completely, and they plummeted to the sidewalks below.

An abrupt explosion from my left distracted me momentarily, and I turned my head to see Clint trying to manoeuver the quinjet down into a safe landing with one of the jet propellers on fire, the flames licking closer to the cockpit. Controlling the jet with just one wing, Clint slammed into the street as lightly and safely as is possible.

"Tony, keep them occupied. I'm going to help the others." I spoke into the comm device in my ear.

"Roger that, kid." Tony replied, his voice roboticized slightly by the Iron Man suit. I flew past him on my way down to Clint and the others. As he flies past, he sticks out his arm, and I high five him, grinning as I called out "Tag! You're it."

Steve, Clint and Natasha were walking down the ramp, and I landed precariously before them, bouncing on the balls of my feet to reduce the impact of landing. "Jeez guys, this jet packs 100,000 pounds of thrust, and you couldn't get here faster? Did you call in at target for some quick grocery shopping or something?" Clint snorted, and Nat rolled her eyes, sighing.

"Jeez, you sound like Stark."

"Thank you." I replied, sending a wink in Nat's direction. Turning to Clint, I complimented his flying. "I underestimated your flying skills, Merida. I thought you guys were goners for a minute. Although, you've got to give dad some credit, that was a really good shot."

"Since when have you called him 'dad'?" Clint asked, frowning at me.

A deep, primal roar of rage coming from behind me interrupted the conversation, stopping me from answering Clint's question. I spin around slowly on the heel of my foot, dreading what I would see. A shadow passed over the streets of New York as a giant, living war 'ship' emerged from the portal. 

"Oh, shit." I whispered under my breath, earning a small look of disapproval The thing passed over all four of us stared up at it, transfixed. From both sides of the being, hundreds of the Chitauri jumped off, and attached themselves to the sides of buildings, and began firing from their energy rifles at the innocent people below.

"Yo Tony, you seeing this?" I said monotonously, still slightly in shock from the pure mass of the thing currently flying above New York, dispersing Chitauri warriors at varying intervals.

"I'm seeing, still working on believing." He said, sounding as unsettled as we were. "Where's Banner? Has he shown up yet?"

"Banner?" Cap asked, puzzled about why Tony was waiting for Bruce.

"Just keep me posted." 

I'm back bitches! Sorry that i've been inactive for so long, I've just been procrastinating. But the big news (other than me finally updating) is that this book has 1.1k reads?! What the shit?! I'm so grateful to anyone that has read this book, and I hope you like the book, and keep reading it. I've got really attached to Cassidy, and I sort of don't want to end this book, but oh well. All good things come to an end eventually. After this is done, I'm going to re-write some of the first few chapters and maybe write a sequel ? who knows? But anyway, thank you again, so much, and I hope you enjoyed this Chapter! Stay awesome, and don't forget to vote, comment and spread the word about my book! Bye until next time ~ Masie xoxo