Identity

Hailee here.

Imagine someone walks up to you and says "Tell me about yourself." How do you respond?

Maybe it's your age. Your gender. Your sexuality. Your job. Your level of education. Your family. Your ancestry. Your social class. Your political party or position in other political issues. Organizations you're affiliated with. Your hobbies. Your interests. Your beliefs. Sports you play or enjoy watching. Etc.

Maybe you're not talking to someone in person and they've never seen you before. Maybe you tell them your height. Eye color. Hair color. Hair length. Skin color. Visible physical injuries. Maybe what clothes you're wearing. Etc.

Maybe you're talking to someone you trust. You might tell them you're depressed. Crippled by anxiety. Worried about a certain person or event. Insomniatic. Broken. Weak. Grieving. Weighed down by guilt. Hurt. Maybe you're feeling worthless. Useless. Hopeless. Rejected.

There are so many words we can use to describe ourselves. But what defines us? Where do we find our identity.

All of the things listed above can be part of who we are.

But there is one thing not mentioned that eclipses all else.

You are a Child of God.

Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed. So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian, for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise.

I mean that the heir, as long as he is a child, is no different than a slave, though he is the owner of everything, but he is under guardians and managers until the date set by his father. In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world. But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying "Abba! Father!" So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

Galatians 3:23-4:7

It doesn't matter how else we describe ourselves. We are all children of God. All heirs of eternity.

But now thus says the Lord, He Who created you, O Jacob, He Formed you, O Isreal: "I have called you by name, you are Mine."

Isaiah 43:1

It says God has called us by name. In a world where we have so many names and identifications... Which name did God use? He answers that for us. "You are Mine."

In Baptism we are adopted into His family. He calls us His own child.

My little sister is adopted. When we adopted her, she took on our family name. My dad became her dad.

And that's what happens in Baptism. It's an adoption ceremony. We take on God's family name. We are adopted into the Royal Family of the King of Creation. And God, Who is in control of existence, becomes our Father. And He loves us. He proved His love for us when He died for us.

So what aspect of who you are is bothering you?

Maybe it's that you don't feel that your gender is the same as your biological body. You have the pain of dealing with the fact that you can't be who you want to be. But though it may seem so huge and so hard right now, that's just a little detail that will fade into eternity. The eternity that you have received as an heir of God.

Maybe you're crippled by anxiety. Maybe you're worried for yourself, another person, an event... But you are a Child of the Lord of the Universe. He is in control of everything from the movement of the smallest electron to the expansion of the universe, and everything between and beyond. He loves you, knows what's best for you, and is taking care of you. All of you. All according to your individual needs.

Maybe you're weighed down by guilt. Maybe you made a big mistake that you just can't let go of. Or maybe it's a series of smaller mistakes. Or maybe it's something that happened that you blame yourself for, even though you've been told many times that it's not your fault, even by yourself. All of your guilt, your shame, that was destroyed on the Cross. By holding on to the guilt, you're just pulling it back off the Cross, strapping the stone to your back when it's already been lifted off. Let God take it. Let God take the guilt from you, you have already been forgiven. Let your loving Father take the weight of guilt off of you. Nail it to the Cross, you don't have to carry it anymore.

Maybe you feel like you're drowning in depression. Hopelessness. You feel like nothing will ever get better. Maybe you feel like everything is going wrong and it's just not ever going to get better. It's okay to fall. To give up. To let go. Because then you see Whose Hands you're falling into. The Hands that have been holding you from the start. There is hope. There is always hope. In this life you will feel pain. But just as Jesus walked on water and gave Peter the ability to, God is above the storm you're caught up in, and will lift you up above the crashing waves if only you'd cry out to Him. Because He always hears your prayers, your pleas for help. And He always answers. And even before you cry out to Him, He's always right there with you. With arms stretched out, making sure you can breathe.

Maybe you're broken. Weak. Hurt. Grieving. God is the ultimate Healer. He felt the ultimate pain. He was beaten, whipped, rejected, abandoned by His Father, He watched His only Son be hurt and die, He died for us. He felt the ultimate pain so He could take your pain away.

Maybe you're feeling worthless. Rejected. Did you know that you were created and planned individually by the Creator of everything? If you were worthless, He wouldn't have made you. Because God doesn't make mistakes, and He doesn't make worthless things. He made you for many reasons and purposes, far greater than you will ever understand. And no matter what anyone else says, you are worth His perfect Son's life. You are priceless. There is no measure that can begin to show how valuable you are. And He has promised He will never leave you. That He is always taking care of you. Even when you walk away from Him.

You are many things. But above everything else, you are a child of God. Because of Him, you have all the strength, hope, and everything else you need.

~

Brooke has nothing to add. Brooke thinks Hailee did an amazing job here. Apparently Brooke is really moved because she is speaking of herself in the third person.
💖✝