Chapter 3: hanbyul

Mina POV
Just like the old times, we bought an ice cream cone each and made our way to the park to enjoy our cold desert.

Perhaps it is because Mino and I were only a year apart so we grew really close to each other just like close friends. We weren't annoying the hell out of one another like many other siblings and I was really thankful for that.

There weren't many people at the park as we sat at the bench near the playground. Just like back in Busan, there was a park where we frequented to spend quality siblings time.

Out of a sudden, a deafening shrill cry disrupted the tranquility we were enjoying.

A little girl was crying alone at the playground, her cries were so loud that I bet it could be heard from miles away. She used her forearm to rub off the tears flowing on her cheeks but more tears continued to spill out her eyes.

"Hey hey, hush little baby. Where are your parents?" I approached the girl and tried to comfort her.

"My... oppa brought me here but then I got lost when I came to play at the playground..." She whimpered.

"Do you know where your home is?" She shook her head.

"Do you have your family's phone number?" She shook her head again.

"Do you know-"

"I DON'T KNOW ANYTHINGGGG" She wailed out loud, leaving me dumbfounded.

"Okay, sweetie don't cry. Oppa and Eonnie is here to help you okay?" Mino cooed as he bent down next to me.

I quickly offered her an ice cream stick and she immediately calmed down. She ate the ice cream happily as if nothing happened previously. Kids will be kids.

She looked no more than three years old. Afraid that kidnappers would abduct her, We sat down at the bench to accompany her while waiting for her brother or parents to come find her.

"What's your name?" I asked the girl who still had tears at the corner of her eyes.

"Kim Hanbyul." She answered me hesitantly and innocently, unsure if she was allowed to talk to a stranger like me.

That name sounds kind of similar to a person I know...

"Hanbyul, shall I bring you to the police? Oppa and eonnie needs to go home soon." I said.

She looked at me with tears forming in her eyes. This was such a hard decision. I couldn't just leave her alone. Suddenly, shouts could be heard from some distance away.

I snapped my head towards that direction to see a boy running away from our direction. I figured that he didn't manage to see Hanbyul yet.

"Oppa!!" Hanbyul shouted but the small girl's voice would be barely audible at a distance like that.

"Don't worry, I'll bring your brother over." I sped off into the direction where I last spotted the brother.

"Excuse me? Hello there!" I shouted loudly and the boy stopped in his tracks. He spun around, his worried and lethargic face could clearly be seen.

But wait, I know this boy. Kim Hanbyul's brother... is that very annoying and rude and horrible Kim Hanbin!

"What do you want?" He asked with an annoyed expression, which got my blood boiling in anger.

"Have I offended you again? The last time I checked I did you a huge favour." I replied with my arms crossed.

"Oh yeah, and what is that favour? Because if it's nothing important, I have other problems to attend to."  He challenged.

"I found your sister," That hit the nail on the head.

"OMG YOU COULD HAVE SAID IT EARLIER. WHERE IS SHE?" He took 5 steps closer to me.

"Back at the playground, follow me." I finished off coolly before turning my back against him and walking towards where Hanbyul is.

When we neared the playground, Hanbin caught sight of his sister and he quickened his pace towards the girl who is still seated at the bench with Mino. Hanbin swiftly carried Hanbyul into his arms with one hand and he did a quick check to see if Hanbyul had any injuries.

"Oppa! I was so scared but I met a very nice eonnie and oppa!" She pointed at my brother and I, with her arms around Hanbin's neck.

I smiled at the angelic little girl, while expecting for some signs of gratitude from her brother. But I was met with silence. Well, I shouldn't expect manners from the notorious bad boy Kim Hanbin right?

"Hanbyul-ah, we are going to go back first. See you around the neighbourhood again!" I waved at her only, completely ignoring Hanbin.

The sun has already sunk below the horizons, tinting the sky into different shades of orange. I walked alongside Mino without a word and he immediately caught on that there was something on my mind.

"What are you thinking about?"

"You remember Hanbyul's older brother? That's the annoying classmate that I had mentioned before."

"Oh he seems like a really cold and unfriendly person. I don't think he has anything against you. Maybe it's just his personality?" Mino offered a kind explanation to defend Hanbin.

"Oh whatever, I can't be bothered about him anymore. He can be a rude kid for all I care." I have decided to completely ignore Hanbin if he was going to treat me badly. I could do all right without him as a friend anyway.

After getting home, I sent Eunmi a text to ask her to meet me early in school tomorrow morning so that we can have a good story telling session about her relationship with Donghyuk.