A fleet from the Province Africa Proconsularis arrived at the harbour of Taraco. The fleet contained 12 cargo ships with grain and figs. Another two ships arrived, two days later, from the new province Mauretania Tingitana loaded with olive oil (that's been processed with olives imported from Southern Spain). The cargo was meant for the municipal government of the Spanish capital. Roman citizens, who participate into the decision making of the State, are entitled to social welfare from the Provincial administration. One of such men on welfare is Valerius. He is born in Carthago Nova, on the Eastern coast of Spain. His parents were employers at an olive oil farm. He has moved to Taraco after completing a one year service in the military. He is considered lazy by his peers because doesn't want to get a job. Due to his Roman citizenship and his fervent participation during public elections he receives a monthly 'paycheck' consisting of 20 Denarii, two bottles of olive oil and four sacks of grain. Valerius lives in a simple apartment. There's a public lavatory just a half kilometer away from him and a public bath within a fifteen minute walk. Valerius is extremely disliked by the people in his neigbourhood. He, however, doesn't care about that at all. And he has made plain to everyone that its ''their own fault if they choose to feel bad concerning him'' further that he ''isn't the one carrying the load of resentment''. Valerius often spends his time at the Fora in Taraco, in the library and at the harbour. This day Valerius was at the harbour when the military was uploading the cargo from the ships. The soldiers ordered him to leave. 

He went further towards the fora. The fora was crowded. As usual. When he sat down at the statue of Apollo - at one of the large fountains on the fora - he noticed that most of the people had some blank stare on their faces. He often noticed this at with urban people. He doesn't see it much when he travels through the rural towns in Spain. Valerius often felt the discomfort that many people are carrying with them. He never understood what caused that hidden fear in people. After all, Spain is one of the safest Regions of the Roman world. There is only 1 legion stationed and that's in the Northwest of Spain to keep certain clans in the Northwest from warring against one another. Spain is the most wealthy, prosperous and stable region in the Western Mediterranean. Valerius talked about this with some philosophers. The philosophers explained that most people in the world are led by hidden fears that they aren't even aware off! Valerius agreed with them. The philosophers, however, couldn't explained what exactly caused that hidden fear. Valerius also understood is that the people that detested him did this out of projection of their hidden hurts. He, therefore, didn't excuse them, but he didn't make a problem of it. Valerius was exempt from paying taxes due to his welfare. That is one of the reasons he didn't want to become employed. The law of the Province is that one you're employed you're obliged to pay 20% taxes. And when you lose your job, you have no right upon welfare any more. Also, not being able to pay taxes due to unemployment will create debt with the department of taxation. This can lead to being sold on the slave market. This is something he absolutely wants to avoid. He, to avoid further resentment from the working population, volunteers at the harbour and at the library to contribute to the city. Just like the other men and women who are entitled to welfare. 

While sitting at the fountain he notices two women who purchase some rings at a market. He notices that there are some people staring at them.