11

Valerius arrived at Baricano, a city just an hour away from Taraco, when he heard the news of an Israelite king being suspected of residing within Taraco. When he informed about the rumour he began to think that maybe the Jewish guy he encountered at the hostel was this alleged king. Valerius didn't want to spend much time on the rumour. It didn't make any sense to him. The only 'Jewish' kings where the Herodians in Judea and Galilee. Valerius came at a luxury apartment complex. Here is where the politicians and oil barons rent apartments for their employees and their mistresses. Valerius was denied an apartment because he could not provide any proof that he was a wealthy man - despite him showing some of the money he brought with him. So he departed towards a small farm house. The farmhouse was abandoned. According to neighbours the owner fled several year ago. Due to the place being uninhabited for more than six month, according to the law, anyone was permitted to use the property free of charge. There was no trespassing because their was no occupation from any owner or renter. Valerius took his refugse in the farmhouse. 

What Valerius was not aware of was that some of the military employers at the harbour witnessed him leaving the hotel. They also reported him to the authorities. Because he was not renting any apartment or house he was not registered in the archives of the hotels and complexes. Because of that they couldn't trace him. The city council of Taraco had made an arrest warrant for him. Not because of any allegation of a crime, but because they wanted to interrogate him concerning his whereabouts and activities past weeks. The city noticed that he was seen quite often at the harbour and on the fora. They wanted to know if he might know more about the unrest that has occurred in town. Also, it would be another 21 days before Valerius would have to receive his well fare. Because of this they didn't put much effort into searching for him besides informing about his whereabouts in Barciano. Valerius returned to the hotel after a week. When he arrived he saw Polina at the bar. 

''Ah! You again!''

''Yes! It's me!''

''People were looking for you!''

''Oh.. did they?''

''It's nothing bad. They just want witnesses to give their reports to the city council''

''Good. I'll visit them later. Where is your friend?''

''She's not here. She's out in town with a local girl''

''You two are not Romans, aren't you?''

''What makes you think that?''

''Your accent. You have a Sarmatian accent''

''We're from the countries Carbonia and Savaria. We are political prisoners here. We are permitted to roam around in Aquitania and Narbonensis. Me and Saulina decided to move away anyway''

''Then you must go back soon!''

''No need too!''

''You're a stubborn woman..''

''I see that as a compliment. Why are you fleeing anyway?''

''Who said I was fleeing?''

''Don't fool me! You are on the run...''

''I'm just traveling''

''Fine.. so are we''

''Where is that Jewish guy?''

''I don't know, he just disappeared. Some say he was arrested. Other claim that he returned to Gaul. Anyway, he is a head of a country, across the Sahara dessert, at a coastal region in Africa''

''Head of state?''

''The Governor become upset when he found out about his identity. They are now seeking for him to figure out why he was in Spain past weeks''

''You knew the guy?''

''Just as I know you. I didn't!''

''Well, this town has become a war zone for now. You two might reconsider your stay over here''

''We will return to Tolosa when we want to. I want to enjoy Roman life. I don't want to be stuck at a camp any longer''

''Well... you are enjoying Roman life now, aren't you?''

''Yes I do.. So why are you running away''

''None of your business''

''You're wrong about that. They also asked me about you. So I'm involved in this crap. They will keep coming back. Especially now that you returned..''

''Don't get involved..''

''I'm already involved. Look, I just want to have my share of what's going on. I don't want to be dragged into some drama I didn't begin''

''That's why I'm telling you... don't get involved!''

''Fine! Just make sure you visited the towns council. I don't want to be bothered with you again''

''Don't be so rude!''

''Get lost!''

After this Valerius leaves the hotel.