18

The cult searched throughout the village, but for some reason they didn't open the house where the four women were hiding. The cult left. The next morning Saulina tried to talk Lolina out of the idea of going back to seek their companions. Lolina insisted that it was the right thing to do. She also reminded Saulina that she wanted her part of the coins. So the four women went into the tunnel. 

When they arrived at the underground base, they found neither Valerius nor Oliviana there. The asses were killed. It was as if something suck all their blood of of them. They did find the vases with coins. There was a small wagon inside the base. Lolina at some bread and give it also to everyone else. Saulina ordered the other two to put the vases in the wagon and to pull it as they were leaving the tunnel. They walked for about two hours before reaching the entrance of the tunnel where Valerius brought them when they arrived. At arrival at the gate, there was a patrol officer that passed them by. He didn't see them leaving the entrance. He assumed they were just passing by. 

''Hey! What are you girls doing here? This is a restricted area! No civilians allowed!''

''Pardon us Sir!'' Saulina took the word ''We are just passing by! We didn't knew this was forbidden land!''

The officer pointed at the sign.

''You are not supposed to be here!''

''What has happened here?''

The officer looked at her.

''This place is accursed! There are Celtic cults, from the pre-Roman time, who still practice human sacrifice and cannibalism. The Province is aware of it. Some of those members have already been imprisoned. Yet, there are still people going missing. You shouldn't walk around like this without any weapons to protect you. Especially women are preyed upon by those sick bastards!''

''We are heading towards Genava.''

''Where do you reside in Genava?''

''With TInus Portelinitus, a magazine manager and legionary officer!''

''Portelinitus?!''

''Yes!''

''That's impossible?''

''Impossible? Sir, we are not lying! We reside in the magazine..''

''You mean that big building where many products are stored? Near the channel that leads to a large pond?''

''Yes...''

The officer is quite confused. The others are creeping out by the situation.

''Are you sure its Tinus Portelinitus?''

''Completely certain!''

''Then you're wrong?''

Saulina and Lolina become annoyed.

''That man, Tinus Portelinitus has been dead for almost four days now! Three years 11 months and two days to be precise! He was wounded in battle in Germany. After return he was stationed at the magazine for 4 months before he passed away. He received a military burial in Helvetia, his place of birth! I knew him because I fought with him in Germany! We were no close friends, but we were comrades in war!''

Saulina and Lolina are frozen by shock!

''Women! And about that magazine.. it has been closed for almost a month. The last products that were stored there were taken away  five days before the building was deemed unprofitable by the authorities. So, you're telling you you're residing there and that the magazine is still functioning as a storage?''

''Yes, Sir!''

''Do you know someone named Valerius? He used to be a marine in Spain. He also knew Titus..''

''Valerio... yes I know him. He was denied to fight into battle due to his laziness and unhealthy diet. The generals didn't want to take any chances. Instead, he was send as a defense officer for some business men on a trip to Britain. He also went as far as Thule, I remember! I saw him six years ago before he definitely settled in Spain. Tinus and him were never close. Tinus didn't like him. Tinus was irritated at his foul language and his excuses for not doing his work. Yet, Tinus couldn't complain because it was Valerio that made reasonable excuses to get Tinus out of trouble too. As far as a I know Tinus broke all contact with Valerio after Valerio returned to Spain. I heard rumors that he is on well fare now. But I didn't bother much with it. I didn't even knew the guy.''

''Is there anything else?''

''What do you mean?''

''I sense that you know something else about that Valerio....''

''Are you psychic?''

''Does that matter?''

''There is. Valerio impregnated some woman before he went to Britain. The women was married to a local business man. The woman lived in Taraco, one of the Spanish capitals. After the birth of their daughter Valerio was denied access to his daughter. As retaliation he paid some muggers to rob the step-father's business. This news came out. The army was embarrassed by this. So they send him away to the Rhine frontier to be send into battle. They hoped he would die in war and never return. However, he was denied the battle field as I mentioned before. When he returned to Spain, the step-father of his daughter became furious. His complains with the civil court, let to charges against Valerio. Valerio was not living in Taraco, but in Carthago Nova. The civil court didn't want to prosecute Valerio. This because that man himself was not popular in his community. He was known as a trouble maker himself and he still had unpaid debts of fines he didn't pay. Valerius was permitted to see his daughter from time to time. Then he was send to Britain. After his return from Britain, he remained living in the South of Spain. And from there, there are rumours he moved to Taraco or to some town in Gaul. They claim that he was convicted for mentally abusing a women into committing murder and suicide. But those are all rumours. And I don't like paying too much attention to gossip.''

''You know the name of his daughter?''

''Olivia.. or Anna.. or some combination of the two. Anyway. Valerio isn't the best type of father figure either. So, I can understand why his former loved wanted him out of her life!''

This made the situation more shocking for Saulina and Lolina. 

''Sir, we have to go now!''

''You better go! And don't come back again! For your own good!''