13

Four days later Matthew signed the treaties within the Baetican capital Corduba. At the same time Saulina and Polina returned to Tolosa. They then heard that their position as hostage was over. They would be sailed back to Savaria within a month. With them was also Oliviana, which went after them. Oliviana waned to enjoy her freedom as a free woman. Her parents respected her choice. Saulina, Polina and Oliviana traveled towards a town called Genava. The town was at a lake called Lacus Lemanus which was also the border between the province Gallia Narbonensis and the region of the Helvetians. The lake was surrounded by tiny military camps. The town offered much luxury for their civilians. At the town, there was a large fountain park with many fountains and statues. 

During their stay at this town a big revolt began in Gallia Narbonensis. There were trading unions that expected their income to decrease due to the annexation of Britain. They were revolting to move the senate to black Claudius' attempt to include Britain into the Roman world. Many of the stationed troops at Helvetia had to be withdrawn to move towards the South of Gaul to deal with the revolts. The three youngster, however, were safe in a large warehouse at the Lake. The manager of the warehouse didn't care that they remained inside the building. He knew about it, but he didn't report it because his wages were reduced. In order to finance the troops to invade Britain, much of the wages of Gaul were decreased due to inflation. The manager of the warehouse, for this matter, permitted some looting to happen by local thieves. This was his way to 'revolt' against the measures of the Senate and the Claudius. The manager had no interest in being arrested and imprisoned. That's why he didn't revolt openly with mob violence like many did in the South of Gallia Narbonensis. 

The revolt in the Mediterranean shores of Gaul also made their way into Spain. Valerius, after receiving his welfare, decided to go away for a few months. He made clear to the municipality that he would go 'visit some relatives'. He heard of Oliviana's parents that their daughter joined the two Savarian women on a trip to Genava. When hearing this, he departed to Genava too. The trip took him only three days. When Valerius arrived in Genava he noticed the tense atmosphere in the town. He pretended to be a marine officer who was off duty. He also wore a uniform from a retired officer. When he arrived in town he informed about three young women that came into the city around ten days ago. The authorities pointed out that they were last seen at a warehouse-storage place at the Lake. When he arrived at the warehouse he recognised an old colleage of his.

''Valerio... ''

''Tinus!''

''What brings you to this godforsaken land?''

''I'm off duty.''

''You left the Marine years ago mate! What are you up to?''

''I'm staying away from Spain for a while. The tensions are a bit heavy in Taraco.''

''And they aren't here? Didn't you notice that there are revolts going on in the South of Gaul?''

''I did! There are also tensions in Spain. A lot of people, also wealthy people, are uncertain about their future. They fear that Britain will have far more fertile land than Spain does. They don't want to have to compete with Britain.''

''It's not only that. More people will receive Roman citizenship once Britain has become Roman territory. Also, after the annexation, the Roman legions will have to finance the construction of infrastructure, Roman towns, mines and harbours. This will all be financed with taxation money coming from Gaul and Spain. This implies that for coming twenty years the taxes will rise. This will lead to businesses going bankrupt, increasing unemployment, increasing homelessness and therefore increasing crime. The people in Narbonensis will be the most affected by this. Also Roman families will notice it. Rome would never decide to invade a land if the land is not beneficial nor profitable in minerals and natural resources. So, when the British industries are developed they will take over much of the economic activities of Gaul and Spain, especially of Gaul. The future of hundreds of thousands of Gaulish people are at stake. There is also this fear that Gaul and Britain might be merged together as one big province. This would mean that poor peasants from Britain will have the right to mass migrate into Gaul. The Gauls want to keep their Romano-Gaulish culture. They don't want more minorities within the borders of their communities. There are already many petitions on their way to Claudius about all that's going on. Claudius will have to convince the Gaulish people that his adventure into Britain is worth the bloodshed of Gaulish soldiers that serve within the Imperial troops. He also has to secure the Gaulish market from British exploitation. I'm sure that soon there will be some propaganda again throughout the Empire after the British tribes are subjected. By the way, you've been to Britain as a marine. Didn't you?''

''I did. Britain is a large island. But there are many smaller islands attached to it. And Britain also has Ireland to its West side, separated by the Irish sea. And 6 days away from the northern shores of Britain, the place that the Romans call Caledonia, there is this large island called Thule or Tilia. Tilia is also considered a part of the British isles, together with Ireland. If Britain subjects Britain, all the way to the northern shores of Caledonia, then they have practically also subjected Ireland. Thule is dependent upon Britain for their communication with the rest of the civilised world. So, by incorporating Britain into the Empire, Claudius is also incorporating Thule. I've traveled to Thule twice. It's a very cold land, but with many fresh water wells and tiny rivers. There are about 350 thousand inhabitants over there. Those people practice human sacrifices to keep the population from growing too much. They do this by organising naval wars with Caledonian chiefdoms. The spilling of Tilian blood keeps the Tilian homeland from becoming filled with rivalries about natural resources. Tilia consists out of several chieftains who are led by a council of elders from every chiefdom. They trade their crystals, metals and fish with the British tribes in exchange for grain, beer and fresh meat. When Rome takes over the British isles, this traditional trade will end. Then, the Tilians will have to pay in coins to get their resources. This might lead to annexation of Rome by Thule also. You only need 20 thousand troops to maintain that Island as a province.''

''I'm not sure Claudius will do all that trouble to annex Thule..''

''Trust me.. He will. Once the Romans are in control of Britain, that includes Ireland, the beauty of Thule will lure them to civilise that cold island into a Roman isle.''

''Do you think the Tilian people will just surrender?''

''If they don't, they won't receive any grain, beer nor meat. These are important products to keep their population alive. Thule does have farms, but they don't have enough production to keep everyone alive. That's why their relationship to the Irish and British tribes are so important. Also, Thule does not have any goldmines, silver mines or any mines with precious metals. So, they will havve to loan money from the British if they want to become part of the civilised economy. This will make them subjects of the British tribes, and in turn, subjects of Rome. So, anyway, Thule is doomed anyway. One advantage that they have is the distance. That's why they might receive a special status within the Empire and be exempt from certain taxes. Also, they might not be subjected to slavery as much as the other provinces.'' 

''Well, the Thule chieftains might have heard rumours already about Claudius' troops taking over Britain.''

''I'm sure they did. It won't take long before they will send ambassadors to Rome's governor in Britain or to the Claudius himself. The negotiations will start very soon!''

''Well, first Rome will have to deal with the Gaulish plagues that are plaguing the Empire. These civil revolts will spread all over the Western Empire if they don't get this under control.''

''They will...''

''Let's hope so. I have no interest in having to ask asylum in Scandinavia because life has become extremely difficult in Gaul.''

''Fear not! Man... why are you folks fearing so much?''

''Fear is what keeps the world going around.''

''True! Anyway, you don't have to be ruled by it!''

When the men were talking, Polina passes by and recognises Valerius!

''Hey! You again!''