Chapter 3

Chapter 3

"So, can you wait for me out front and we can walk home together?" Jake said sounding almost nervous, as we walked out of our last period. Mr Cartwright had been as boring as ever, normally on the first day, of a new year, we would just mess about in each lesson, but as per usual Mr Cartwright had set us straight to work. Also he set us an thousand word essay, which was due by the end of the week. Jake and I were not happy.

"Sure, where are you going?" I chirped, happy I would get some time to speak to Jake alone.

"I just have to go to the office quickly and sort out a few things to do with moving back." He smiled, before giving me a quick hug and darting back down the corridor.

I made my way to my locker to put back my books, before making my way to the front steps. I perched on a wall, facing the school, so I could see when Jake came out. I really was glad he was back. I had expected everything to be awkward because I knew we had both changed, but it wasn't. It felt like he had never left.

"Lydia!" I heard his familiar voice shout, disturbing my daydream. I glanced up and saw Jake walking towards me, smiling his beautiful smile.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Yep" I said popping the p. He slipped his arm round my shoulder and we started off in the direction our houses. Jake had moved back in next door to us, as they had only rented out their house while they were away.

"I really did miss you Lyds." Jake said, looking into my eyes as we walked. My breath caught in my throat as I looked into his electric blue eyes.

"Me too. I still can't believe you are back. It has been too long!" I sighed, thinking about all the things we had missed. We had kept in contact while he was away by text, and occasionally called each other, but it wasn't the same as actually seeing him.

I had seen Jake twice in the past two years, once at Jake's sixteenth birthday party, a couple of months after he left and also at my sixteenth birthday, nearly a year after he left.

"I know. I wished we had seen more of each other, but it never seemed like the right time." Jake smiled sadly. I sighed before saying,

"I can't believe we missed each other's birthdays! I never expected that you leaving would mean I wasn't there for your birthday and you weren't here for mine. You know that means we broke our pact?" I chuckled sadly. I hated seeing how much our friendship had changed.

*---*

I smacked Jake away,

"You can't blow them out! They're my candles!" I whined, trying to get him away from my cake.

"I'm only helping you. Otherwise you won't be able to blow them all out and Stacey will tease you about having a boyfriend, like last year." He chirped like it was obvious, smiling his toothy smile.

"Okay!" I said happily, "One...... two...... three!" I sang, before blowing with all my breath. With the help of Jake all six candles went out.

I smiled at him, as he raised the palm of his hand to me. I slapped it, giving him a high-five.

"This has been the best birthday ever! You've made it great!" I chirped, a smile still plastered on my face.

"Let's make a pact," Jake started a twinkle of excitement in his eye, "Let's never miss each other's birthdays. However old we are, we always have to be there. Even if we move thousands of miles away, we still have to be there. Promise?"

"Promise" I said holding out my hand, so we could shake on it.

"Good, because you make my birthday the best!" Jake sang happily, his whole face lighting up. He held out his hand, which I took and we ran towards the swing set at the back of the garden.