Chapter 4

Chapter 4

"Goodbye mum" I chirped as I walked into the kitchen.

"Goodbye honey" she said, as I kissed her on the cheek just as the doorbell rang.

"Who is that?" I questioned, "Are you expecting anyone?"

"No, probably the postman or someone" She said as she walked towards the front door, while I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl, sitting on the middle of the dining room table.

"Oh Jake, how nice to see you!" I heard my mum exclaim. Jake, why was Jake here? I made my way to the front door. Jake was leaning against the frame, his messy brown hair blowing gently in the wind. He wore dark jeans which sat low on his hips and a tight t-shirt which showed his defined body. I couldn't help but stare.

"Hey Lydia" Jake finally said, breaking the silence making my eyes snap up to his face, which had a smirk placed on it.

"Um... hey" I muttered, slightly embarrassed a blush forming on my cheeks, making his smirk even more defined. "What are you doing here?" I wondered.

"To pick you up" He chuckled, "I wouldn't want a young girl like you walking the dangerous streets of Lakeside all alone." He laughed, making me giggle.

"Well it was nice seeing you again Jake. I'll see you after school Lydia." My mum said, taking her cue to leave.

I followed Jake down the small garden path, much like the one leading up to his house. We walked down the road in a comfortable silence, his arm gently hung around my shoulder.

"So what's it like being back in Lakeside, do you miss Clearview?"

"Well I am glad I'm back and I prefer Lakeside, for sure. However, I do miss the friends I made in Clearview, even if I didn't know them for that long."

"Yeah, I would feel the same."

When we reached the school, Jake walked me to my locker, where Lilly was waiting.

"I will see you two later." Jake chirped as he walked back towards his locker, which we had already passed on the way to mine. Jake really was so sweet.

"So did anything happen between you and Jake yesterday?" Lilly asked, as soon as Jake had disappeared down the hallway.

"Lilly, he had been back for a day! How could anything have happened that quickly? And who says I want anything to happen anymore?"

"Oh please! I've seen the way you still look at him. Remember I was the one you came crying to when Jake left two years ago."

"Whatever" I mumbled, as all the memories of Jake leaving came flooding back.

*---*

Lilly opened the door and I quickly flung my arms round her, sobbing into her shoulder. She just held me as I sobbed, not once asking me what was wrong, but just waiting until I was ready to talk. Finally, my sobs started to calm down and I was able to breathe again.

Lilly led me to her room, her hand holding mine tightly. She pulled me to the bed, where we sat, her arm round my shoulder.

When I was able to speak, I stuttered, "He's gone" before I began sobbing into her shoulder again. I couldn't believe he had actually gone. My heart felt like it had been shattered into a thousand pieces, that would never been able to put back together again. My whole word was crashing down and I was frozen, not able to move. Just stuck, while my life came tumbling down around me. I was in love with him, but he didn't feel the same as me, and now I was left here alone, without him.