Chapter Twenty-One - Dead to Me

Peeta instantly made his decision, regardless of his fellow companion's choice. Looking for an answer, Percy glanced at every tribute. It wasn't hasty for him to take the god's second option, Peeta confirmed. How could he go back to Panem and tell the people how he left their liberator in the hands of the man who once stole children for a televised death match? 

Convincing them was the hardest part. The tributes standing before him had their partners safe in the cornucopia boundaries, ready to escape President Snow's game. Jack Sparrow will be on his side. The girl who died in his arms by the river must have been important to him. 

Even if the others unite, and figure out a way past the force field, none of the triubtes have ever experienced what Snow has under his sleeve. He'll be merciless. Fire raining from above, mutts running rampant on a mission to devour anything in its path. They would be insane to stay in this realm for longer than a day.

Michonne was the first to speak, "I don't know if Rick has the same opinion as me, but I would want to stay. My life beyond this world is the same as this arena. Only the people are worse back home. I'd rather help out the rest of you than go back."

"Narnia is my home," added Peter. "I don't want to see it destroyed in the hands of these Captiolians."

The White Witch guffawed, stroking Hades' shoulder playfully. Hades ambled from her frail fingers. "Enough of this, my Lord. It is of President Snow's wishes they should die. Why intervene his proclomation?" Her sceptor glistened in anticipation, as though humming to strike down on each tribute. Peter Pevensie found it amusing.

"A coincidence the Gamemakers recreated your wand, in hopes that someone like Leia would discover its true power." Peter glared at the White Witch, gripping on the hilt of his sword.

The White Witch's mouth hung open, saying, "You dare adress me by my former life? Leia is dead, son of Adam, and I have consumed her body. My name is Jadis, all-powerful queen of Narnia."

"Luke Skywalker!" Peeta shouted. "That was your partner!"

Screams manifested throughout the ice palace, severing the tension between them. Hades' eyes searched around the throne room for the source, his mood reflecting the faltering fireplace behind him. He turned his attention to the tributes. "We'll discuss this afterwords...I'm afraid there's no time--"

The doors to the throne room burst open, and Bruce Banner tossed a small man on the melting floor. Peeta might have seen the man once in the arena, but he looked too disfigured to distinguish. Bruce Banner ignored the unfamiliar faces and turned to Hades, "I found him trying to steal my possession. Threatened me with a puny little knife."

Dr. Banner, eyes green with anger, cast the curved blade next to the man. He didn't attempt to reach it; his eyes  flashed with horror of the doctor transforming into a large, green monster. Backing away and pushing his sopping hair behind his ears, Peeta noticed they were pointed and misshaped. 

Bruce Banner finally directed his attention to the others, touching the golden ring that fit perfectly on his finger. "I see you have guests."

"Matters not of your concern," Hades remarked. "They live so long as I am breathing." Peeta cringed at that sentence. He wasn't sure the Lord of the Dead was breathing.

"This is Frodo Baggins I presume. The hobbit from Middle Earth."

"I'm sorry to break your decree, my Lord," Hades cracked his knuckles. "This hobbit should go with his partner into the Underworld."

"That ring is not yours!" Frodo Baggins cried. "It belongs in the depths of a volcano!"

Banner was unwavered as he took the short man by both hands and slammed him against the wall. "Excuse me," he said, throwing Frodo down the steps and into the courtyard. The hobbit's face slammed on a toppled statue. As he looked back, Bruce Banner wound up for a devastating hit. The throne room doors slammed shut before the cannon fired outside.