Chapter Fourteen - Collision

Fog curled from Harry's mouth and dispelled behind him. Neither did he look back nor check for more appearing out of the shadows. His direction was straight, changing course only to maneuver around a trunk. Hair on the back of his neck stood on end, as though the creatures were just a chomp away.

"Harry!" Hermione called, but Harry already knew why. His blood ran cold.

A river too treacherous to cross forked the forest just yards ahead. A single attempt would sweep them beyond in a rogue current.  From what Harry could see, it was the length of a pitch, no breaks in the stream for rocks to protrude. 

He steered the group right. It was risky to distract his eyes off the uneven earth, but he had to. Hermione was closest, whipping around to knock down a few with bursts of light. Percy, Katara and Peeta slowed for the man to catch up, who struggled carrying his bleeding counterpart.

Harry barely had time to react before a creature leaped from the trees. "Avada Kedavra!" In a flash of green light it buckled over the force. Harry let out a gasp. The blow had only taken it aback, but did not kill it. It surged forward, angry as ever.

"Stupefy!" he screamed. The monster lurched backwards, sprawling over the brush.

Harry persevered onward, but couldn't ignore the fact. The Killing Curse was ineffective towards these things.

"I think..." heaved Percy. "I think I see something on the river..."

Anything further than the trees were mostly outlines, but Harry's eye caught a blob that looked out of sorts where the river should be. His legs switched paths without consoling his conscious. He headed towards the splotch of black.

A bridge! From one side of the river to the other, barks and branches crisscrossed and entwined together, making a slender route to another range of trees. He suspected beavers crafted the bridge (or dam, to be exact), but it was too complex and thorough for it to be made by such rodents. The wooden dam abolished the fast paced rapids and created a slow churning lake behind it. 

Harry pointed at the dam. "This way!" he yelled.

Beginning to climb the jagged formation, Hermione puffed, "Harry, it's not stable!"

It seemed to be a wall of impenetrable substance, sturdy enough to carry thousands of people. Harry wanted to only permit seven. Unfortunately, while Harry helped his companions onto the dam, he was aware of the height. Easily the biters could find a way on top.

Once everyone was on, Harry pulled the straggling man behind him. "Stand back," he ordered. "INCENDIO!"

Columns of flame exploded from his wand and caught on. Spreading quickly throughout the wood, Harry felt the heat on his back and the smoke clogging his nose. 

"Hurry!" Harry dragged Hermione. "We have to get to the other--"

Now that they grew closer to the end, they figures defined themselves from the frigid night. Just as many creatures waited on the other side, as more menacing than the ones they left behind. Harry glued his shoes to the ground. A raised his want to launch another ball of fire.

"Stop!" Hermione lowered his arm. Before he could revolt, Harry saw a hand waving from inside the dam, through what appeared to be a window. Percy jumped inside first. He extended his arms for the man to exchange the limp woman. Harry was the last to enter.

Two people Harry hadn't seen before reeled them inside a tight little kitchen. He had to crouch low to avoid hitting the ceiling. A few candles littered a round table surrounded with mismatched stools. Cupboards wide open revealed gritty jars.