Chapter Twenty-Three - Deep Magic

Aang cocooned Bruce Banner in a solid blanket of rock, to cease Bruce's alternate form if he ever wakes.  With the clouds scattered apart, the arena's artificial sky reflected a pink hue, spreading like smoke over the black night. Hermione set up another round of enchantments, and the tributes stamped out the hearth to disconnect the link between their camp and the White Witch.

The longer Aslan made his presence known, the more warm everyone felt. He curled up next to Susan and Peter around the smoldering embers. Snow around the tributes melted, revealing ankle-length grass. They no longer wished to halt whatever Aslan had to say.

Aslan's giant eyes loomed over to Percy Jackson. Katara repaired his wounds after his fight with Dr. Banner.  "How is he?"

"A couple of bruises," Katara said. "Nothing critical. I'm more concerned with Bruce Wayne, sir. His fever's getting worse. I don't know how long he can survive."

Bruce Wayne shivered at Katara's side. Katara provided him an extra layer by taking off her jacket. He took it with skinny fingers, and let the thin fabric lay on him, unable to wrap it around him.

"That is why I must make haste with my words," said the talking lion. "I understand you have met with my friend, Hades. You've taken the choice of staying in Narnia and finding the others."

"Wait, what choice?" Rick said. "Michonne, what is he talking about?"

"It was decided at the castle. A man named Hades gave us an option of staying or leaving in one of his gateways. We chose to stay."

Before Rick could string his thoughts together, Aslan added, "It was a valiant choice to accept. You would risk your life to save another. But I must warn you; this task has just begun."

"What promise did you break, Aslan?" Susan asked.

His colossal purring stopped. "You two were never meant to come back to Narnia. I told you this at your last visit. You were too old to return, and I'm sorry this has happened to you. I apologize to all of you. I have let this race run rampant through my country. I was foolish."

"How could you have let this happen?" Hermione said.

Aslan did not lash back, an action Harry was sure Hermione would regret, but he said simply, "I was careless. Clearly, I have not learned from my mistakes in the past. I have let foreigners enter Narnia and gain power, while I was traveling."

"Where were you traveling?" asked Rick Grimes.

The lion explained his journey through different realms with the use of "gateways," a term that was unfamiliar to most of them except a handful. Like Hades, he told the tributes gateways were unpredictable, opening and closing at any given moment for short or long periods of time. "Hades, the Underworld god, and myself could access gateways, but we have no control the direction it takes us. Susan and Peter, you are aware of the consequences of gateways, through your experience with the wardrobe. After your first encounter, when you defeated the White Witch the first time, you used the wardrobe to get back to your world, but could not enter Narnia again. That particular gateway had closed."

Peeta said, "That's how the Capitolians gathered us? By using gateways?"

"That is correct, Peeta Mellark," said Aslan. "Gateways are dangerous at the hands of those who don't have moral intentions. Peeta, I am certain you know very well who the Capitolians are."

Peeta nodded, remembering President Snow visiting him and Katniss before they ascended into the arena. Aslan must have a reason for Snow's return. "They are from my world, but President Snow shouldn't be alive. I saw him die long ago."