Chapter 1

I've always dreamed of being a part of something, wished I could belong somewhere. I wish I could make a difference, live a life that will create ripples of change spreading in its wake. I wish more than a half dozen people even knew of my existence.

Today, I will wish no longer. Today is the day my life will change forever. Today, I start school for the first time in my life, having been homeschooled since preschool. My father was against it in his own quiet way, not believing that a blind girl can go to school with regular children, especially not starting in the middle of the year, right after February break.

But I can. I will. I am going to today in only two hours.

Quietly, I walk to the bathroom, running a hand lightly along the wall to guide me. I enjoy my morning routine, the sense of independence it gives me. The only part I need help with is deciding on an outfit, but Grandmother and Angelina, my cheerful seven-year-old sister, did that with me the night before. All I need is for them to tell me if the colors match, and I can do the rest by touch.

At 7:30, I stand by the door with my backpack. Hope, my guide dog, sits quietly next to me, her harness on and leash in my hand.

I hear two sets of footsteps, one heavy, one quiet. Father and Grandmother have come to see me off before I begin my walk to school.

Father takes my hand and shakes it. He inhales as if he is about to say something, but he turns away and I hear his footsteps receding down the hall. Grandmother hugs me tightly, saying softly in my ear, "Respect your teachers, make some friends, and do be careful on your walk to school."

"Yes, Grandmother, I will," I reply, holding her a few seconds longer before turning and stepping toward the door.

"And Autumn?"

I pause, my hand on the doorknob.

"There are people who think you will fail. Prove them wrong."

I nod, then step outside, thinking about the day of school ahead of me. I can do this. Grandmother knows I can do this.

Hope and I have practiced the route to school over the past week, and we walk the half mile safely. I stop for a moment before the doors.

Grandmother and I came here last week several times, and I am confident I know the location of the office, cafeteria, gym, and all my classes. All of the paperwork has been filled out and all my teachers know there will be a blind girl in their classes from now on. I am as ready as I will ever be.

I take a deep breath and step through the doors.