Chapter 4

Before school the next day, I knock on the door of Coach Davidson's classroom.

"Come in, and close the door," she says shortly.

I step inside, shutting the door behind me. Her computer keys stop clicking, a sign that she has something important to say.

"I've been doing some research, Autumn, and I have some strong support to bring to the athletic director and the anyone else I need to convince about your ability to join the track team. But first, do you have the sign-up packet?"

I silently hand it to her.

"Section 504 of the Americans with Disabilities Act prevents disabled people from being kept out of activities they are able to participate in. That includes students. I will have to argue that you are capable of running, at least in practice, but I believe I can get you on the team. I talked briefly with the athletic director about you, and he seems open to the idea. I have scheduled a longer meeting with him. For now, assume you will be on the team, so be ready to start practice on March 7th. And I'm not going to baby you just because you're blind. You will be working just as hard as everyone else. So don't expect any special treatment."

The clicking of the computer keys resumes, signaling my dismissal. "Thank you," I say, and walk to history, my first period class.

I sit with Bianca and Lisa at lunch again, and immediately Bianca says excitedly, "I heard you're doing track!"

Wondering how that news got around already, I reply, "Yeah, Hope will run with me at practice, but I probably won't be able to compete in meets."

"That's..." Lisa trails off.

"Crazy?" Bianca supplies.

"I'm crazy," I say, grinning. Bianca's bluntness is rather refreshing after days of everyone treading so carefully around me.

I soon find myself repeating my conversation with Coach Davidson to my two new friends. "Davidson's really tough," says Lisa when I tell them about the coach's promise of no 'babying'. "Don't let her discourage you."

"No, I like her way of acknowledging that I can be independent, that I don't need people to do everything for me. Most other people don't really understand that."

"Even your parents?" asks Bianca. When I don't say anything for a moment, she quickly adds, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked that. Forget I said anything."

I nod, and there's an awkward pause before Lisa and Bianca start talking again. I wasn't prepared for that. I can't talk about my parents. I can't stand the flood of emotions that washes over me at the thought of my mother, and who my father used to be. Not now.