Chapter 13

I should be focusing right now.

I'm on the bus on the way to the state championships. I should be focusing on my race, playing it out in my head, imagining every moment of it.

But I keep getting distracted by the wonderful voice of the wonderful boy sitting behind me.

Henry's just talking with his friends about the upcoming race and what opponents they'll be going up against. I'm barely even listening to what he's saying. I'm just enjoying the sound of his voice, and his laugh...

Before I know it, the bus stops and I hear the doors open. Hope and I get off the bus and I put on her harness. Immediately, her playful manner turns serious and alert. The harness signifies to her that she is a working dog now.

It's my turn to do the same. I force myself to stop thinking about Henry and focus my attention on the races ahead of me.

Since my team has no chance of winning states, it's considered a chance for individuals to perform at their best in only one or two events, rather than tire themselves out with three or four. I'm only running the 1500 today.

Coach Davidson has told me that since there are so many runners today, even the distance races will have multiple heats. Although my times should have put me in the fast heat, Coach got me into the slower one so that I won't get trapped behind people. There should be no one behind me for nearly a hundred meters, so I can run my race without any interference.

After the first lap, I can't hear anyone behind me anymore. With no one in front of me or close behind me, I finally have a chance just to run. I don't have to worry about running another event afterwards, or have to deal with getting trapped behind someone else.

It's not too hot, even though it's June. A breeze whips through my hair and the sun is warm on my face. I'm running fast, but I still feel good. It seems as though my feet barely touch the ground as I fly across the homestretch to the finish line.

I retrieve Hope from where she has been waiting patiently in the officials' tent, only a few steps from the finish. I relax as she presses her wet nose into my palm, feeling much more secure now that she is guiding me.

As I set off to wander around until I find Coach or one of my teammates, a voice I don't recognize calls my name from behind me. I wait as an odd pattern of footsteps approaches me. Is she wearing heels? On grass? At a track meet?

"I'm Cindy Lowell, a reporter for Runner's Weekly, the most well known running news website in this state. And you're Autumn Fletcher, correct?" I nod mutely, slightly stunned by the rapid stream of words being thrown at me. The reporter continues, "You ran a time of 5:16 today, which puts you in 6th place overall, even compared to runners in the fast heat. How does that make you feel?" She barely waits for an answer before firing out multitudes of questions at a blinding speed. "How do you think being blind has impacted your running? How do you feel about your achievements this season? Do you think your coach treats you differently than your teammates? What obstacles have you faced this season? How did you decide to start running? Has anyone inspired you to continue? Did you ever want to quit?"

My alarm at this torrent of words must show, because she adds, "No need to look so nervous, honey, just tell me a bit about your season!"

Still slightly in shock, I manage, "Um... My teammates are really supportive... I guess they're the reason I love track so mu–"

"Thanks so much, honey!" Cindy Lowell interjects brightly. "Mind if I get a photo of you with your guide dog before I go?" I try to school my bewildered expression into a smile as she snaps the picture. A few moments later, her heels are once again pounding out that odd rhythm as she saunters away.

Maria finds me standing there a minute later and immediately bursts out laughing. "I'm guessing you just met Cinderblock?"

"You mean that reporter, Cindy something?"

"We call her Cinderblock because after talking with her– or actually, getting talked at by her– it feels like you've been hit over the head with a cinderblock. You've got that expression that only Cinderblock could put on your face."

"I don't know why she wanted to talk to me. She wouldn't even let me get a word out!"

"I know," Maria laughs. "She's been here for years and she must have the ability to be in multiple places at once or something, because I don't think I've ever met anyone at states who hasn't run into her at least once."

"She's all-knowing and all-powerful!" I'm giggling now, too. "And she's exactly like an obnoxious reporter out of a bad movie!"

"You guys talking about Cinderblock?" Bianca asks, a little out of breath from running to find us.

"She just asked us about Bakersfield's plans for the cross country season." Lisa's voice. She must have been with Bianca.

"I told her the plan is to kick East River's butt," Bianca informs us.

"Concise, accurate, and to the point. I approve," responds Maria, with mock seriousness.

Cross country. How could I run cross country? There's no way to cover the entire five-kilometer course with a ribbon for me to hold. I've only been running for a few months, but I can't imagine not being on a team, even for only a season. Have I just run my last race for nearly a year?