Chapter 7

The bell rings, marking the end of the school day, and I'm more than glad to leave Mr. Gibson's classroom. Coach Davidson has called a meeting of the track team, and Bianca chatters tirelessly to Lisa and me as we walk towards Coach's room. I'm grateful for her ceaseless talking, since it means I don't have to say much. Ever since Grandmother played the home videos a few weeks ago, I've been a little quieter than usual. I need time to think, to process the flood of memories that have resurfaced in my mind and played over and over in my dreams.

I am shaken from my thoughts as we reach Davidson's room. The rest of the team files in within a few minutes, and Davidson slams the door behind us. Wasting no time, she cuts straight to the point.

"As you probably all know, our first meet is in a week. We aren't as ready as I would like us to be. People have been skipping practice. Julia and Hannah, you might want to end your conversation because I am talking about you."

The two girls immediately fall silent. Davidson continues, "I don't like the attitude I'm seeing from a lot of you. From this point on, anyone who misses practice without telling me their very good reason beforehand will be kicked off the team."

She allows this to sink in for a moment before saying, "In one week, we have a meet against Westbrook. They suck. If you lose to them, you suck even more. Don't lose. Go get ready for practice."

I'm almost starting to feel relieved that I can't run in the meet. Almost.

I wait for everyone to leave before making my way to the door, worried that otherwise I would bump into someone or Hope would be stepped on. I'm almost out of the classroom when Coach says, "Stay for another minute, Autumn."

Feeling slightly nervous, I approach her desk.

"I have an idea."

I keep quiet, waiting for her to elaborate.

"Take this." Davidson places one end of what feels like a long, thin ribbon in my hand. "This ribbon is 500 yards long. A track is 400 meters around."

I nod, beginning to understand.

"I'm going to tie this to poles in a circle around the inside of the track. If you keep your hand on it, you should be able to run around the track without assistance. I thought we would try it today at practice."

I can run with the team in practice now, as long as I'm careful not to run into anyone! I smile and thank her, turning to leave.

"And it won't interfere with the other runners. Hope might not be allowed in a race, but this is perfectly acceptable."

I stop, surprised as much by the matter-of-fact way she presents her suggestion as the plan itself. "You mean–?"

"Yes, you will be racing next Wednesday. Now go get ready for practice. Everyone is already warming up."

Her words are disinterested, but I almost imagine I hear amusement at my astonishment in her voice as Hope and I leave the room and walk down the hall.