Chapter 10

Over the past few weeks, my interest in running has become an obsession. In my second meet, I made sure not to get trapped behind anyone and ran the 1500 in 6:08, more than 30 seconds faster than my time in my first race. Since then, I've become more and more determined to show everyone what I can do. Grandmother's words on my first day of school have become the mantra I repeat in my head as I run: Prove them wrong. Prove them wrong. Prove them wrong.

And since my worst fear is being useless and unwanted, I fight it as hard as I can. I stay after practice to do a few extra sprints, and have made it a habit to do at least 100 sit-ups each day.

It's almost May now, and my hard work has begun to pay off. My best 1500 time is 5:28 now, and I run the 3000 as well. Not counting Isabella and Brianna, who only run the 800, I'm the second best distance runner from our school behind Maria.

And people have started to take notice. Last week, Grandmother told me the local newspaper had a picture of Hope and me in it, with a story underneath. I am finally no longer invisible.

I've started to notice a change in myself. I'm more confident, more energetic, happier. And someone has noticed, or so Bianca tells me delightedly over lunch.

"Henry can't stop looking at you, by the way," she says. "He totally takes advantage of the fact that you can't see him staring at you!"

My cheeks immediately grow hot. Henry is smart, funny, and likable. Why would he like me?

"You're blushing! You like him!" Bianca giggles.

"What are you, a 5th grader?" I retort. Not my best comeback, but the revelation about Henry has left me feeling a little flustered.

The bell rings and I rush off to English, although not fast enough to avoid Bianca's final teasing remark: "He's so handsome; couldn't you leave him for someone who can appreciate it?"

I can't concentrate through the rest of the day, wonderful what-ifs whirling around my brain.

What if Henry really does like me? What if we could actually be together? What if being blind doesn't really affect some things at all?

"Fletcher!" Davidson barks, snapping me out of my thoughts. I gulp. It's never a good sign when Coach uses your last name. "Where are you today?" she continues sharply. "I need your mind here. League championships are in a week and state is in three. You can daydream all you want when the season is over!"

She's right. I've become a valuable member of the team, and the most important meets of the season are sooner than I realized. Putting Henry out of my mind as best I can, I tighten my grip on Hope's harness and throw myself back into training.

But Henry has not completely left my thoughts. In the brief moments I have to myself, the possibilities fill my mind. My feet are light and seem to barely touch the ground, as if I am flying instead of running. And before I know it, the week has passed and league championships are here.