Chapter 19

The next morning, Bianca tells Coach Davidson Maria called her to say she couldn't be at track because of a doctor's appointment and she'll run at a different time that day. "But Autumn still need someone to guide her," Bianca continues. "How about Henry? I think their paces are close enough." Davidson pauses for a moment, then agrees.

I stifle my laughter. Of course she would set me up with Henry like this.

"Real subtle, Bianca," I tell her.

"I thought you needed the help," she replies, sounding very pleased with herself.

Before long, Henry and I are running through the woods behind the school– not too slow, not too fast, our feet landing at exactly the same time. Talking to him feels so natural– the conversation is never forced or awkward, and the time passes quickly. Somehow, the conversation has turned to how we each decided to join track and cross country.

"Well, Jacob– you know him, he's on the team– has been my friend since third grade, even though we're complete opposites. Not just opposites of each other, opposites of stereotypes, too: I'm an extroverted nerd, and he's an introverted athlete. Anyway, we made a deal that he would join the math team for two weeks if I would run track with him for two weeks. He hated the math team and quit when the two weeks were up, but I kept doing track, liking it even though I'm not that good at it. How about you?"

"Bianca and Lisa were talking about it, and... I don't know, I just got this sudden urge to try it. I've always wanted to be a part of something like that, you know? A part of a team, doing something that affects more than just myself."

"That's one of the things I like most about cross country, too. Everyone's so friendly, and you never feel like you're running alone."

Eventually, we lapse into silence, but it is a companionable, comfortable silence, not an awkward one. Before I know it, we've finished the run and practice is ending.

Henry's mom is late, and since I walk home and am in no hurry to leave, I wait with him. After a couple moments, Henry breaks the silence.

"I've never seen you take those sunglasses off." Somehow, it sounds more like a question than a statement.

"Well, I... Most people think my sightless eyes are a little creepy. I've always worn sunglasses."

His hand brushes my glasses. "May I?" I nod slightly, not trusting myself to speak. I think I've stopped breathing.

He gently removes my sunglasses, his hand grazing my cheek. "No, your eyes are beautiful. Like the sky and the ocean at the same time." A few inches more and our lips would be touching. The brief silence hangs in the small space between us. A question, and an answer. I tilt my head up toward him—

A car rolls noisily into the parking lot, and we jump apart, startled. Henry's mom.

The moment is ruined, and the silence suddenly feels awkward. I quickly shove the sunglasses back over my eyes. There's a brief pause before Henry says, "See you tomorrow" at the same time I say, "Bye". A few moments later, the car door slams and Henry is gone.

Uncertainty, embarrassment, and elation battle in my mind as I walk home. I think we were about to kiss. Were we about to kiss? Yes, we were. Weren't we? Does he really like me back, or is my mind playing tricks on me? My brain doesn't seem to be working right anymore.

"What are you grinning about?" Angelina asks as I arrive home.

"Nothing." I hadn't realized I was smiling.

"Is it because of that boy? The one on the cross country team, who can make you turn red just by talking to you?"

"No!" I say, too quickly. How is she so perceptive? She barely even sees Henry that much!

"Henry! That's his name, right? You like him! You liiiiiike him!" Angelina sings gleefully.

"Stop it!" My reproach is half-hearted though, since I'm smiling by now, too.

"Lunchtime!" calls Grandmother from the next room. She seems to be pretending not to have heard our exchange, but I can hear the obvious amusement in her voice. It doesn't bother me, though. Nothing could bother me right now. In this moment, I could almost believe nothing could ever make me unhappy ever again.