Chapter eight

Rylie’s point of view

            Hot tears stung my freezing face. My mind was racing with a million different things. I didn’t know what I should have been doing, but as soon as I saw Bellie make her powerful strides down the staircase, I only had one thing on my mind.

Revenge.

            I took quick and large steps and made my way over to Bellie. I started screaming at her; my voice cutting through the thin air. I was so close, so close to hitting her when my arm was held back. Tears exploded out of my sore eyes once again.

“How could you do this to me, Isabella?” I choked out in choppy fragments.

“It’s not like I was the first he’s cheated with.” She replied nonchalantly.

“So that makes it okay? I thought you were better than this.”

“You sound like my mom.” She laughed out.

“Bellie, stop being such a bitch.” I heard the voice of Violet from behind me.

            Bellie’s face went blank. Being called a bitch by the bitchiest person is saying a lot about yourself. Although we all thought Violet was done, she continued.

“You’re a whore too. You’ve always been, but none of us have ever said anything to your face because we never wanted to hurt you. But now you go and almost have sex with Dade? That’s taking it too far.”

            Maddi pulled me into a separate room while Violet and Bellie fought. I managed a small smile—Violet never sticks up for anyone. I was happy someone cared. Maddi sat down on the floor and pulled me down next to her.

"You don't have to say anything if you don't want to." She spoke delicately—not wanting to hurt me.

"Thanks." I managed to say quietly.

            I watched her chew her lip from the corner of my eye. She stared at the ground with intense focus. The dim reflection of the floor boards was clear in her eyes. I watched at they darted towards me. She shook her head and let out a small laugh.

“I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” I mumbled quietly. “It’s not like you kissed him. Thanks for telling me.” I gave her a weak smile, and she pulled me into a hug.

“I was such a bitch to you when you first came in though…and today. I was just a bitch to you in general. I’m sorry.”

“No,” I shook my head. “Don’t be.”

            She smiled softly and stood up. I grabbed her hand, which she was holding out for me. I pulled myself up and brushed myself off. Dust fluttered off my pants and clung to the floor once again.

I heard muffled yells coming from the room next to us. I smiled a little to myself, because I knew someone was fighting for me. Suddenly, I felt my own body freeze.

“Are you okay?” Maddi asked—obviously noticing my discomfort.

“What do you think Dade meant by he ‘plays to win’?” I asked slowly.

“Uh, he’s just mad.” She hesitated. “Ha, stupid Dade…getting mad when other’s call him out.” She tried to lighten the situation.

            My lower lip quivered as my eyes threatened to release more tears. I felt Maddi’s warm hand rest on my back. I leaned on her and looked around the room.

“It’s kind of dark.” I spoke—trying to remove the awkwardness for her.

“I’ll light a candle!” She smiled. “Do you have any matches?”

I shook my head.

“Oh, well Bellie al-“ She cut herself off. “I’ll go find some.”

Maddi walked out of the room, leaving me alone in the dark.

The moon was covered by the giant trees that stood proudly on the flat ground. The room gradually got darker and darker. Soon, not even my hands were visible to me.

I sat on the floor in silence. The only sound I could hear was the sound of my slow and staggered breathing. I tried to listen more carefully when I realized I couldn’t hear Violet and Bellie anymore.

A small tapping noise came from a distance. Out of instinct, my head snapped to the side. It became more and more clear. Someone was walking towards my slowly. They seemed to slow down as they got closer.

They knew where I was.

My breath caught in my throat and my heart beat increased to an unhealthy level. I pictured Dade standing over me with heavy breaths. The knife in his hand would shine softly as he brought it down on me. He would make sure to go slowly, ever so slowly, so it would hurt. So I hurt.

“I found it!” Suddenly the room was illuminated, and Maddi was standing over me with a big smile plastered on her face. “Whoa, are you okay?” She must have noticed the scared expression that was clear on my face.

“I just, never mind. It’s all good.” I gave her a fake smile—which she took as a real smile.

“Oh, okay!”

“Did you pass Rylie and Bellie? Are they still fighting?”

“Oh, I didn’t. I’ll go check if you want.” She smiled, and before I could answer, she walked out of the room.

            I sat alone again and watched the flame burn in front of me. The tip of the flame danced violently as a little wind crept up behind it. Blue flashed brightly at the bottom, as the white reached up high. The wind calmed, the flame soon followed its actions.

            Muffled voices grew in the room beside me. An abrupt thud made everything go silent. Then, an ear piercing scream rose from the air in a defenseless cry for help.

(A.N.-Sorry for the late update. We love you all! Thanks for reading<3
~Cassi   )