Chapter twenty eight

Dade’s point of view

            I felt my stomach drop. I truly felt sick.

“You didn’t sign in?”

“I didn’t think I needed to…” Fear was the only expression present in her vivid green eyes. “Guys…I-I don’t know what to do…” She began to bite her fingernails.

“Don’t worry.” Bellie said. “That’s exactly what he wants you to do. He lives off of fear. Your fear, Maddi. Just chill out. You’ll be fine. Everyone will be fine. I mean…no one’s died in a while.” She shrugged.

“Are you fucking kidding me, Bellie?” Violet started. “Do you even realize where we are? We are at a wake. Why? Because of this fucking game! Paranoia killed her! People are still dying!”

“Well I was just trying to make her feel better!” Bellie shouted back.

“Guys, be quiet. We’re at a wake…we need to be respectful.” I hushed them. “I think we should stop with the game.”

“Well it’s kinda out of our control now, dumbass.” Violet leaned against the wall and crossed her arms.

She’s so beautiful.

“That’s not what I mean.” I looked down. “I mean…we should just say who we all have.”

“I have Bellie.” Violet said without hesitation.

“You wouldn’t have killed me, right..?” Bellie asked slowly.

Violet just shrugged in response.

“Violet!” Bellie’s eyes grew wide.

You’re too over dramatic, Bellie. Calm down. Violet is an amazing girl…she’d never kill anyone. Not anyone…

“Shh. Okay, I had Rylie…” I said quietly, biting my lip as I felt the guilt bubble up again. I felt like vomiting. “And Rylie had Ashlinn.”

“Dade.” Bellie spoke.

“Violet.” Maddi was the last to say hers.

“Excuse me?” Violet turned to her. “You had me? Fuck you!”

“I didn’t pick your name on purpose!”

“Whatever.” Violet grumbled. She was so cute when she was mad. She was always so cute.

“So Ashlinn had Maddi.” I said.

“Okay, so what does this do? This doesn’t stop people from being murdered, Dade. This doesn’t do anything.” Violet snapped.

“Yeah, but it broke the game.”

“Not for whoever’s doing this. We’re still his players.” Violet said coldly.

“Where are we going?” I asked Bellie and watched a cloud form from the warmth of my breath.

            After what Violet had said, we all became uncomfortably silent. After a few minutes, Bellie pulled me outside. Last time I went to “help” Bellie, I ended up in deep shit. I didn’t have a good feeling about it. I felt so sick.

“We’re just gonna go on a walk and…talk.” She gave me a soft smile, seeing that I looked sick.

But not even the softest smile could have given me comfort.

Unless it was a soft smile upon the lips of my love.

Violet. Her name is perfect…just like a poem. She’s so special. So perfect. Even when she’s mad, you can see that hint, that speck of love in her crystal blue eyes.