The Temple

I was scrubbing mashed potatoes off the last counter when Vidalia walked in. "Hello, Mrs. Vidalia." "Y/N I told you, you can just call me Vidalia." "But I'm your worker and I feel I should treat you like it." She chuckled.
"Anyways, someone wants to see you." Onion came out and said "Hi" in his very high pitched voice. "He never stops talking about you and Steven even though he only ever talks to you. I looked down at Onion and picked him up. "It's hard to talk to people sometimes, isn't it?" Then I gave him a small kiss on the cheek.
I set him down and saw his little blush. I got back to work and scrubbed the last of the potatoes off the counter. "Thanks for coming today Y/N, I know it's Steven's birthday today." "Yep, we're taking him to the temple so he can move in, because now he's ready to become a crystal gem." "Wow, well you should get going, will 20 dollars cover it?" "Yes ma'am, thank you so much!" I take the money and hopped on my bike, and head over to Connie's house to pick her up. I knew where she lived, I've worked for her family for quite a few years, and it really helped our families bond. When I finally got there I parked my bike and knocked on the door, and I was soon answered by Connie's mom. "Hello Y/N, did my husband call you, because I didn't think we needed you over today." "No ma'am, I'm here to pick up Connie for Steven's birthday." "Oh, CONNIE, Y/N is here to pick you up." Connie came out from the hallway and said "Ok I'll get my bike." I waited for a few minutes and came back with her bike and helmet. "Thank you, I'll be back with her around 4." "Alright, thank you Y/N." I hop on my bike and made sure Connie was behind me, then I started to ride when I heard "Hey Y/N?" I look beside me to meet her brown eyes.
"Yeah?" "Do you think Steven and I are going to stay best friends even after he moved into the temple?" "Totally, he talks about you more than he talks about the gems and almost all I ever see him do on his phone is text you." She blushed a deep red and smiled. "Really?" "You think I'd lie to the coolest girl I know?" "Not at all!"
We got to the fence and parked our bikes. We climbed over and I checked my watch. 9:57:43 We raced to the front of the temple and Connie knocked on the door. While she waited for someone to answer I climbed on top of the doorframe and hung on to part of the statue. Then, I heard footsteps and the door opening. "CONNIE YOUR HERE!" I heard Steven say. "Wait, where's Y/N?" "Ummm..." Connie started to talk, but I signaled her to lie. "I don't know, I came here by myself, I haven't seen her since she cleaned my house last Wednesday." "Awww she said she'd be here!" When Connie I walked in I flipped over and hung by my knees. "AHHHHH!" Steven screamed. Then him and Connie broke into a fit of laughter. Then Greg and Pearl came over "Steven what's wrong?!" "Y/N just ha ha scared the ha ha ha heck out of me!"
They both looked at me and I flipped myself off from above the doorframe and on to the floor. Pearl took a good look at me and said "Y/N?" "Yeah?" "Oh my gosh, you're so much older!" "Yep." "We all kind of missed you here, you brought the bit of joy we had during the war!" She wrapped me in a hug and I hugged a little back. I was happy to see her, but I barely knew her, I hadn't seen her since I was 4. "Wait, Y/N, you know the gems? How? You were always working when we came over!" "It's a long story." And Greg said "A VERY long story."
Steven and Connie rushed up some stairs to a bed, say down , and yelled "STORY TIME!" while throwing the hands in the air. I chuckled and went up there with them while Pearl and Greg walked off talking.
(Be prepared this is pretty long.) "Well, when I was a baby I was left over the fence and Rose had found me. She didn't know exactly how to raise a child, but tried her best since she loved humans so much. When I was about 3, she met Greg and fell deeply in love even though they were a gem and a human. Then, I learned they were having a baby who was destined for greatness, but it caused Rose to die. On her death bed she made sure I would protect her newborn son and I agreed to do it, because I knew he was going to be just as amazing as his mom was one day."
"Wow, really?!" Connie asked. "Sure thing." Then I looked at Steven and he was just looking down blushing. "What are you blushing about?" I asked teasingly. "YOU LOVED ME!" "Yes I did, you little Schtooball!" I picked him up, put him in my lap, and ruffled his hair.
"Why didn't she name you after a gem?" "She knew I wasn't a gem and I had this around my neck." I showed them the chain around my neck. "Woah! It's like one of those army necky thingies!" Steven said with stars in his eyes. "It sure does, I don't know why but it has my name on it and I never take it off!"