Can You Feel My Heart; *Chapter Five*

Can You Feel My Heart - Five

My parents refused to acknowledge my existence. I didn’t let it bother me. I had expected them to do this. I had school Monday through Friday from 7:15 to 2:15. Mondays through Fridays, I work 3 pm to 11 pm. Then, on Saturdays and Sundays, I work from 10 am to 5 pm. I work 56 hours a week. I make $560 a week and $896 every two weeks, after taxes. I guess it’s good that I work so much because that meant I can have money saved for her.

I was now eighteen weeks, or five months. I had 22 weeks until my due date, which is February 14th.  It’s October now, and I’m thanking the colder weather because now my baggy hoodies make sense.

“Are you gonna go trick – or – treating with me?” I yelped out as none other than Caleb poked me in the butt.

I mentally hissed. “I have work.” I said taking my history book from my locker and replacing it was Social Lit.

“But we always go together.” He pouted.

Everything other Halloween I wasn’t pregnant. “Well I can’t this time.” I said.

“Well, I’ll come see you at work, then.”

“No!” I said, “Don’t do that.” I said as I closed my locker.

“Why?” He demanded. “Why do I get the impression you’re avoiding me?”

“I’m not avoiding you, I just think you shouldn’t waste your Halloween waiting around on me.”

“But I wouldn’t be wasting it, Jey, I’d be spending it with you. And besides, those kids love me! I could help take them!”

“Just please,” I stressed, “Go out without me. I mean, we’re not dating anymore.”

“We may not be dating, but we’re still best friends, right?” I was silent. “Right?” He repeated. When I said nothing yet again, his shoulders sagged. “Oh.”

I gulped. Goodbye Caleb, I hope you’ll hate me forever.

Thursday, Halloween, Sheila, the owner of the Daycare had told me I could go home early because they had enough staff working that night for when they took the kids out trick – or – treating, but I would still get my regular pay.

So I was in my room for the rest of the night. Tomorrow was November 1st, and I’d be six months. Another four and my daughter would be here.

I really had to start working out a plan. I couldn’t live here where I wasn’t wanted forever and I had to make plans for schooling and work.

I guess once I have all of her things bought, I could start saving for an apartment. As for school, I would go until my due date and after, I would do my work from home. Work, it was necessary and mandatory to take six weeks off, so after a month and a half, I’d return back to work.  The only flaw in my plan would be what I would do with her once six weeks were up.

My parents were obviously out of the question and while Darla is a possibility, I’d say it’s highly unlikely because her son would already be here.

I sighed and laid down on my bed. She was kicking one or more of my organs hard. She always seemed to do that when I’m stressed. And all this stress was starting to build up. I got dressed in a pair of flannel pajama pants and one of Caleb’s old long sleeve shirt that I’d stolen a couple of months back. It still smelled like him, burning oak and an all man smell, even though it’d been in my closet.

I wonder if she was able to smell the scent, would she know it as Caleb, her father, or would she just register Caleb as just another person.

I really had to stop all of this thinking of Caleb, it really wasn’t healthy to long over him even if I craved him desperately.