Can You Feel My Heart; *Chapter Ten*

Can You Feel My Heart - Ten

I blinked my eyes awake, they burned as I opened them fully. My abdomen felt like it was being stretched and torn and then the realization hit. I held the pillow to myself as I attempted to sit up, but cried out as I failed.

I looked around and almost screamed out when I seen Caleb sitting on the armchair in the corner of the room. He was cradling something inside of his shirt, and that’s when I realized he was cradling our daughter.

“What are you doing you?” It killed me to talk.

“Spending time with my daughter – the daughter you neglected to tell me about.”

“Caleb–”

“How could you do this to me, Jeydon? How…why would you not tell me that I got you pregnant?” He held her to him as he sat on the edge of the bed. “Why?”

Tears prickled at my eyes, “I’m sorry, Caleb. I didn’t want to tell you because I knew how my parents were like and I didn’t want you to not be accepted and I knew that she would be considered an outcast to them, too.” I, this time, more gently, sat up, “I didn’t want you to see that they pretend I don’t exist.”

He hesitated, “I could’ve taken you away from all of that.”

“I didn’t want you to, though, I wanted them to love me and her. I wanted them to not be ashamed.”

“I love you and her.”

“You don’t even know her.”

“I need to. I want to. I want us to be like we used to. You made me feel like shit when you just shut me out, Jeydon!”

“And I felt like shit that I did it to you! I’m sorry! Okay? I’m sorry and I felt horrible my entire pregnancy because I knew what I had done to you!”

He was silent for a while. “I want to marry you.”

“What?” I gasped.

“I had been thinking of asking you way before you did that. And I sound masochistic, but I still want to…so long as you don’t hide another pregnancy from me, again.”

I squeezed my eyes shut and chuckled. “I love you, Caleb.”

“I love you, too.” He kissed me softly, and I felt my whole body race with an electric shock from his lips touching mine.

“Can I hold her now?” I bit my lips and watched as he took her out of his shirt. She was swaddled in a pink hospital blanket and was gorgeous. She had Caleb’s dark blonde/light brown hair that whisped into curls, she was even born with a full head of hair. Her eyes were a delicate and soft blue, I as so in love with her, it was unreal. “So would you please explain to me what happened?”

“Darla had been rushed into the waiting room and then she seen me. I asked why she was here and then she said that you were being rushed into an emergency C-section. I didn’t understand but I was scared. Then the doctors came out a little while later and asked to speak with her in private. She told them I was the dad so that I could hear, too.”

“And?”

“They said your body was being put under too much stress and that it was causing the baby’s heart beat to drop and yours to rise, which made your blood pressure spike, apparently no one caught on that you had preeclampsia starting.”

I squeezed my eyes shut. “And her?”

“They said you delivered, unconsciously, an extremely healthy ten pound, seven ounce, twenty – one inch baby girl.”

“Her names Jocelyn, Jocelyn Adrianna.” I said, caressing her now sleeping face.

“You know I was so scared when Darla said I was the father. I was really confused, too. I didn’t really understand it much, either.” I said, looking off into the distance, not really looking at anything else. “But when I get lead back to the nursery, and I seen her…I knew she was the second best thing that ever happened to me.”

“Second?” My brows knit in confusion.

“The first was falling in love with you.”

My face became hot. “You know, Caleb, if you want to marry me, then I think you should ask me the right way.”

He chuckled but took one of my hands and then got down on one knee. “The ring is actually sitting on my desk at home, but Jeydon Wade Clark, would you do me the honor of becoming my husband?”

I felt like a little giddy school girl. “Of course.”

Grinning ear – to – ear, he stood and kissed me hard on the mouth. “I love you, Jey, I really do.”

I smiled. “I love you, too, Caleb. And I never stopped.”

“Neither did I.” He kissed my forehead. “I’m gonna go get Darla, tell her you’re awake.”

I smiled. “Be back soon.”

“I will.” He blew me a kiss and then exited the room.

I looked down lovingly at my daughter. She was still asleep, her tiny fists balled up next to her face. Her face was a plush, plump pink and she was just so perfect. I never thought I’d feel love like this.