Can You Feel My Heart; *Chapter Seven*

Can You Feel My Heart - Seven

As I was roughly thirty – two weeks, Darla had delivered an eight pound, five ounces, and twenty – two inch baby boy that she and Austin had named Wyatt Abel McCann.

He was a perfect little boy who was the perfect blend of both his parents; he had Austin’s strawberry blonde hair and Darla’s big brown eyes. It also made me extremely happy that my sister had chosen me to be in the delivery room rather than our mother.

“After seeing Darla do it, do you think you can?” Austin chuckled.

I looked over at Darla, who was feeding Wyatt. She was shakily caressing his face with the tips of her fingers, and a light trace of tears were on her face. I smiled at her happiness, “I think I can.”

“Thatta champ.” He laughed, gently shaking my shoulder.

Austin was a good guy, around twenty – six. He was pretty decently built and had Strawberry blonde hair, which he had indeed passed down to his son, and light grey eyes. He didn’t really understand my body, but he tried to. And Darla, and now Wyatt, were his world. That’s all I could ask for.

It was scary to think that soon, that would be me up on that bed giving birth. It was scary but exciting all in one.

I watched Austin with his son and couldn’t help but think of Caleb and his daughter. What would he be like with her? If I had told him about my pregnancy, what would we be doing?

I think of that and then I remembered myself why I chose not to tell him.

My belly’s huge, and it’s hard to hide. People stare and it’s awkward. I’ve always been slim, so maybe they think I’m just getting fat. Whatever.

Because I’m eight months, I decided it was time to start clearing my room to make room for her. I obviously couldn’t do it alone so I called Megan. I was gonna tell her.

“My God, your room’s messy.” Megan flopped on my bed. “What are those boxes?”

I hesitated. “I have something to tell you but, you have to promise not to say a word to anybody.”

She eyed me, “What is it?”

“You remember my body problems, yes?”

She nodded. “Of course.” I took off my hoodie and then lifted my shirt underneath. She covered her mouth but a gasp escaped. “Oh my God, is that real?”

“Touch it,” I nodded.

She hesitantly moved her hand towards my tummy. Megan placed her hand on the lower middle of my bump, resulting in a gasp and pulling back as she kicked. “Holy – oh my God!”

I ran my hand along the smooth flesh of my belly, thankfully I was only gaining stretch marks on my sides. “I’m having a girl.”

“You’re huge! You’re like…about to pop, Jeydon!” Her jaw dropped.

“I have eight weeks until I deliver.”

“Oh my God, Jeydon! How? When? Is it Caleb’s?”

“Please, please, please do not tell him.” I begged.

“You haven’t told him?”

“I don’t want him to know!”

“About his child, though? Jeydon, that baby needs a father.”

I shook my head, “No, she doesn’t. She’s got me and I can give her what she needs.”

“Don’t you think that’s unfair? And selfish?”

“It won’t be unfair if she doesn’t know him. He can have a life, he can do what he wants without having to worry.”

“Jeydon, don’t you think that’s unfair to him as her father that he won’t get to see his daughter? You know how much family means to him, you know how much you mean to him.”

I used to know how much I meant to him, then I went and shattered his heart. But how much would she mean? His entire world.