Can You Feel My Heart; *Chapter Nine*

Can You Feel My Heart - Nine

My due date was tomorrow, and I was the most uncomfortable I’d ever been in my life, especially because I’d begun to feel contractions. I had talked to Darla and she told me to time them but the pain was getting pretty intense.

Finally, I’d broken down crying in the middle of fourth period and called Darla, begging her to come get me and take me to the hospital. I hadn’t counted on Caleb being in the office with an icepack to his temple.

It was awkward as he watched me, but I started the conversation. “What happened?”

He looked shocked as I was actually speaking to him. “Got hit with a basketball in the face during gym. Waiting for my parents to come get me.”

“Why didn’t you just drive?” I bit my thumb nail.

“Possible concussion.” He shrugged. “What’s wrong with you?”

I’m possibly in labor with your daughter. “Not feeling good.”

A contraction began and I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from crying out. But he noticed my discomfort. He held my hand with his free hand, “I’m sorry for whatever I did to make you hate me so much that you stopped talking to me, Jeydon.”

“You’re wrong.” I said as I felt the vibration from my phone, meaning Darla was here. “It’s actually the opposite.”

“What?” He questioned as I stood.

But I didn’t have the time to answer because as soon as I stood, I felt horribly crampy and then felt the warm gush of liquid run down my thighs.

I’ve never exited a building faster in my life.

I sat in the back with a gurgling Wyatt as Austin drove us to the hospital, and once confirmed that I was, indeed, in labor, Austin went back to get my bags.

My sister tried her best to make me comfortable and reassure me but I was scared. “So,” She was sitting on the edge of the bed, “When she’s born, are you gonna be mommy or daddy?”

“She’s only got one father,” I clenched my jaw through a contraction. “And that’s Caleb.”

No matter the pain or the amount of pressure from Darla, I wasn’t going to get an epidural. I wanted to be able to leave this hospital tomorrow with my daughter.

“So does that mean you’re going to tell him?”

“I don’t know.” I gritted my teeth, “I want to but–”

“But?”

“Hello!” Dr. Collins entered. “How are we feeling?”

“Terrible.” I rubbed my face.

“I know, but it’s all so worth it afterwards.” She smiled sympathetically. “I’m gonna check you–”

A loud beeping sound went off then, and Dr. Collins looked at the monitor. “Her heartbeat is dropping,”

“What?” I panicked, attempting to sit up.

“Shh, shh,” She said, “Don’t worry, Jeydon,” And then another monitor started to go off. “Your heart rate is going up, as well as your blood pressure, you’ve got to calm down.”

I laid my head back, and tried to remain still, but something wasn’t right. I cringed and grabbed my stomach. “Something’s not right!”

“Something like what, Jeydon? Jeydon? Jeydon–” The room was spinning and everything began to feel fuzzy. “I need an emergency C-Section set up in the OR, right now…”

And then things went black.