Chapter Twelve.

Previous Chapter.
Aiden and Asher talk about the false alarm because of the rouges. Aiden demands to talk to the wold that spread the alarm. They talk about Arianna and Asher tells Aiden that he knows that his mate wouldn't do anything like that to him. Hecate tells Aiden about her thinking of him as her mate. Victoria hears that. Aiden threatens Hecate to leave the pack.

You cannot stop the birds of sorrow from flying over your head, but you can stop them nesting in your hair.

Eva Ibbotson

Victoria's POV.

The water glistened beneath my toes and the moon shined brightly over me. Everything looked so happy and shiny. I on the other hand felt exactly the opposite. I felt like the darkness that I had been holding in so badly had now grown to an extent where no barrier could stop it. In short, I felt like absolute shit.

I had been happy after receiving the news about my mother finally healing. So happy that I literally sprinted towards my so called 'mates' room. Only to find out that he already had someone else making him 'happy'.

I am completely and utterly pathetic.

What was I thinking? Him to hug me close and fucking share my happiness? He wouldn't do anything like that in his worst nightmare, much less his dreams.

I angrily kicked one of the stones on the river bank and silently cursed the moon goddess. Why did she have to give me this man as my mate? There were seven billion to choose from and she chooses him.

I lay down on the slightly damp ground and shut my eyes, taking in the crisp fresh air.

'You're stronger than you think' Dad's voice leaked into my brain.

'Make him realise your worth' Heather's voice joined in.

Maybe all was not lost. Maybe there is still more to this man than what's the eye. He couldn't possibly be in love with Hecate, not when his own mate was alive.I wouldn't let that happen. Not over my fucking dead body.

***

The next day the entire house was awake by sunrise. Excitement and happiness was evident on everyone's face.  I figured this ball was a big deal for everyone. Even I felt excited for it, it seemed like great way to relieve all the stress I had been feeling.

I took a run in the woods and came back to take a shower and have breakfast. Apparently, the entire pack had breakfast together that day. Which meant that the entire backyard was filled with tables and chairs and literally every wolf was happy and having fun.

I walked to over to the main table where my mother and the rest of my friends sat.

'Hey darling, where were you?' My mother addressed me.

'Just out for a run. Why are you outside? You should be resting,'

'Oh nonsense, Aiden invited me out here. I couldn't really reject his invitation, now could I?' She looks over to Aiden, blushing slightly.

Can I be jealous of her own mother?

Aiden looked back at her and gave her a genuine smile, 'I'm glad, Mrs Anderson.'

I guess I can.

'Oh please, call me Ashley,' She replied sweetly, winking at him.

Cougar Alert.

'So, Mom. How are you feeling?' I cut in, not wanting to witness my mother practically fawning over him.

'I feel great, actually. All thanks to Aiden,' She laughed and continued praising him.

I bit down on my lip and turned to Heather, eyeing her to save me from this torture.  She, however, was too busy lip-locking Edward. Okay then.

Aiden's proud smirk caught my eye, while I looked around the table trying to find someone who would help me. I shot him a glare to which his smirk Increased and he mouthed something to me.

'Like mother, like daughter,'

I shot up from my seat, ignoring the slight acceleration of my heart and walked to the buffet table.

Jackass.

I stuffed my plate to its full extent with every sort of food, and walked back to the table. I slumped down on my chair and began stuffing my face.

'You know, Tori used to pee her bed till she was ten?' My mother excitedly told the entire table.

The entire fucking table.

My head shot up to her and I glared at her smiling face. Evil Mother.

She looked at me and pulled her hands up,' I'm sorry, it's just too funny not to share,'

I groaned and hid my face behind my hair.

'Well, It's okay. I wasn't potty trained till I was twelve. It was quite embarrassing,' Heather covered for me, laughing a little.

The entire table shook up in laughter while I gave her a thankful look. Thank God for best friends.

'Well, everyone looks happy,' An old, cheerful voice interrupted. Our heads shot towards the source to find an old man sitting on a wheelchair with a beautiful short woman by his side.

The man was in his sixties, with grey hair on his scalp. While the woman looked close to fifty, her shiny black hair in a bun.

'Dad,' Aiden respectfully stood up and hugged the man. This must be Nathan Valentine, Aiden's adoptive father.

'Hey, old man,' Nathan hugged him back tightly and slapped his back. Aiden rolled his eyes at the nickname while Nathan threw his head back in laughter.

'Hey mom,' Aiden then greeted the woman. He hugged her and kissed her forehead, while she lay a hand on his head and gave him a beautiful smile.

'She can't talk,' Heather whispered to me.

I wanted to ask why, but I figured that now was not the time.

'Who is this beautiful young lady?' Nathan rolled his wheelchair over to me.

'Uh, hi. I'm Victoria Anderson. You can call me Tori,' I smiled politely at him, while he studied me carefully.

'You seem familiar,what's you fathers name?'

'Dave Anderson,' I smiled sadly.

His eyes grew wide with shock and he pulled me down for a tight hug ,'Dave used to be my best friend. Actually, my only friend. I have so many memories with your father. Speaking of which, where is he?'

He let me go and I stood up and looked at him sympathetically ,'I'm so sorry, He's dead,'

His eyes widened with shock, fear and sadness. I could swear I saw his eyes get watery but he hid it well behind his grim features, 'Well, everyone has to go one day. It's just awful he had to leave so soon,'

A few tears streamed down my mother's face that she rapidly wiped away. My dad was her mate, I can't even begin to imagine the pain she felt.

My eyes shifted to Aiden, who was already looking at me. His eyes were dark, tedious and lonely. Yet, they spoke so much, it was hard to understand what he wanted me to know. I imagined never looking into his eyes again, never seeing his face again. Immense sadness and pain took over me.

He's right here. Breathe.

I inhaled loudly and turned to Nathan's wife. She looked at me knowingly, her eyes shifting between me and Aiden. She laughed a little before walking up to me and hugging me tightly. She then discreetly took off her bracelet and stuffed it in my hand, before kissing my forehead and walking to Nathan.  

My eyes found Aiden's, but before I could ask anything. He looked away and walked into the pack house.

***

Vote, comment and share.

-N