Chapter 10: Demon of the Hidden Mist

Yukana sniffed the air. "Something smells salty," she commented. The group just turned a corner and Yukana saw the biggest body of water she has ever seen in her life. She stopped in her tracks and if she could get any paler, she would have. "Nu-uh, nope, not happening." Her team turned to look at her.

"Oh yeah," Sakura remembered. "You said you hated water didn't you?"

"He-he, what gave you that idea?" The pale girl said weakly.

"We'll have to get there by boat." Tazuna informed.

"No, no you guys go ahead. I'll just stay here." Yukana scratched the back of her head.

"We're not leaving you here, Yukana," Kakashi said calmly.

"Well, how do you expect me to follow?" Kakashi walked over to the terrified girl and picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. "NO! Kakashi sensei, you can't make me!" The white haired girl screamed and pounded on his back with her fists, screaming, "you promised!"

"And, I'm not putting you in the water."

----------

The boat driver was using an oar now instead of the engine. Yukana hasn't moved from her position the entire ride. She was sitting right in the center with her arms outstretched, gripping each side of the boat. She squeezed so hard, the wood showed stress fractures. Her teeth chattered in fear and her eyes were the size of dinner plates.

Seriously? Sasuke gave her a weird look. I can't figure her out. Her jutsus aren't that great, but she's super strong, fast and very coordinated in taijutsu. She put fear into those mist ninja from earlier and she's scared no, terrified of something like water? She also says some strange things a lot of the times, like if she was an alien exploring a new world.

"Whoa! It's huge!" Naruto belted out when he caught sight of the bridge through the mist.

"Kyaaa!" Yukana jumped from Naruto's outburst.

"Quiet," the driver yelled in a whisper. "Why do you think we turned off the engine?" Everyone looked around for any sign of others. "By the way, her teeth chattering isn't helping either."

Sasuke scooted behind Yukana and wrapped his arm around her head to cover her mouth while he held her with the other one to try to make her feel more secure. Her chattering died down and was now taking deep breaths through her nose. Sakura looked upon the scene with jealousy and if there wasn't so much fog, one would swear they could see smoke coming out of her ears.

Kakashi asked Tazuna some more questions and they found out that a businessman named Gato is trying to keep control of the land of waves and if the bridge is built he would lose influence, so he hired ninja to assassinate him. Because he was dishonest about the level of the mission, Kakashi told him that they would end it as soon as they reached shore.

So we're crossing water for nothing!? Yukana's anger started to build, but then the bridge builder started to talk about his family and how much they would resent the Leaf if he got killed. Kakashi changed his mind and Yukana was thankful for the guilt trip Tazuna laid out. She wouldn't be able to last the ride back without a break. They reached a dark tunnel so you could only hear the sounds of the water echoing as it hit the sides. Yukana's muscles tensed even tighter than they were and started to shake more violently making Sasuke squeeze tighter. The driver finally docked the boat and Yukana shot out of Sasuke's grasp and scrambled onto shore nearly tipping the boat in the process.

"Hey, careful." The driver scolded as the girl stumbled and fell to the ground kissing the dirt.

"Land, land, land, land, land." Yukana face planted in the dirt and relaxed for the first time in hours. My muscles are so sore.