Chapter 19: Preliminary Test

"First of all, congratulations on finishing the second exam!" Anko boomed. Other Jonin and even the Hokage himself greeted the candidates with their presence. Everyone stood in a large room that took up two stories. Staircases lead up to the second floor walkway which surrounded the room. A T.V. screen was built into a statue, which was sculpted into a large pair of arms forming a hand seal.

Yukana took in the scene around her and assessed the number of Genin left. Her eyes fell on Gaara of the desert and she glared his way and started to tremble with the need to kill. The red head felt her eyes on him and he glanced back at the pale girl, mimicking her glare. She knew she shouldn't do anything at the moment, especially with other people around who could get hurt.

Suddenly, a distinct scent wafted through the air for just one moment. Yukana tilted her head up and sniffed the air trying to find out where it was coming from.

-----------

Kabuto stood with his team and looked ahead to the shinobi before him. A Chunin wearing a sound headband caught his eye, as the man smirked telling him that it was Orochimaru in disguise.

-----------

Orochimaru gazed upon the Genin candidates and kept a discreet eye on Sasuke. A small movement of the white haired girl behind the ravenette grabbed his attention and he watched as she sniffed the air. Is her sense of smell that good? He watched her closely, ready to bail if necessary. If this girl blows his cover, his fun would be cut short.

Yukana moved her head sniffing from all sides of her. She lifted her sleeve and the snake ninja saw that she still had his hair. The pale girl put her arm up to her nose and sniffed, familiarizing herself of his scent before smelling the air again.

Orochimaru relaxed once she gave up on her search by turning her attention towards her pink haired teammate. What an interesting girl. His thoughts went back to how she nearly killed his snake summoning and even started to eat it alive. Her mouth is covered in fresh blood since then too.

-----------

"Hey, look, all the Leaf village rookies are here too." Sakura whispered.

Yukana covered her arm back up and turned to the pinkette behind her. I could have sworn I smelled the snake demon, but it was so faint, it must have been my imagination.

"Wow, everybody's here. Old man Hokage, Iruka sensei and even bushy brow. Looks like nobody got left out this time." Naruto whispered back.

Sasuke clutched his neck with narrowed eyes "Urgh, I don't have a very good feeling about this." Yukana focused at the spot on the Uchiha's neck.

"Alright, now listen up, maggots!" Anko addressed the candidates, "Lord Hokage is going to explain the third exam for you."

The elderly, robed man took a few steps forward. "Before I explain the test, I'm going to tell you the true purpose of these exams."

We already know, Yukana mentally yawned. It's to train ninja to fight demons, of course.

"These exams are to represent the battle between allied nations."

Yukana's head shot up. What?! Battle against allies, does he mean other humans?

"If you look at our history, all the countries we're currently allied with were once neighboring nations who have continuously fought with each other for power."

For power?! The pale girl's eyes were as big as saucers. No, but the battles in the history books were because of demon possessions. Creatures of the same species don't kill each other like that. . . do they? Yukana thought back on her old history lessons. She understood that the past wars happened and that they were a great tragedy, but she automatically assumed they happened because of demons. She tried remembering what Hiruzen sensei taught her, but she couldn't recall him saying anything about demons. No. . . just, no. Her head slowly shook side to side.