Six Fingered Nigel

Will hated the way he'd left things with Jem, but he knew it was necessary for Jem's survival. His illness was already taking him slowly and the idea that his love for Will would help the process move faster was unacceptable to him. He knew Jem didn't understand, was glad that he didn't, but it was necessary and he couldn't allow himself to go back on that. And it was for that reason he found himself at The Devil's Tavern, drinking away his need to return to Jem and beg for his forgiveness. To stop himself from going back on his word and begging Jem to take him back and love him forever.

            It wasn't the first time Will had gone out for a drink, but it was the first time he had ventured out this late at night. It was a different group of people than he was used to seeing at the tavern, drinking and growing rowdier as they played cards. From time to time he considered joining the game and taking their money, but two things stopped him; the memory of his father gambling away so much after Ella died and the fact that he seemed to see Jem everywhere he turned. A warlock that passed by on his way to the exit that had similar silver eyes, only his seemed more reflective of the light. A vampire whose hair was such a pale blonde it almost resembled the same shade of silver as Jem. Even the slightest of coughs brought forth Jem's image in his mind and he couldn't bare to do anything but sit at the bar and drink pitcher after pitcher.

            Though it wasn't his first time drinking, it was his first time completely inebriated and he could understand the appeal it seemed to have on others. The feeling of being invincible; of nothing being able to ruin their night worse than it was before. The numbness to feeling anything else but what they wanted to feel; the escape. It was a complete state of bliss in itself and while his Shadowhunter instincts told him it wasn't smart to numb his senses and leave him vulnerable to an attack, he couldn't bring himself to stop from drinking another glass.

            As another pitcher was set down before him, a voice came from beside him and startled him slightly proving his instincts were correct in thinking he was leaving himself vulnerable. “Having lady troubles, young man?” the voice asked. Will looked beside him to see what seemed to be a little girl, staring up at him from their stool beside him. Their hair was shoulder length and their eyes were amused as they watched him take yet another satisfying drink.

            “I don't believe that is any of your business,” Will replied shortly. “And I don't believe this is a proper place for a little girl to be, especially at night.”

            “I am not a little a girl,” they said hotly and Will raised his eyebrows curiously. “I am a man. Everyone calls me Six Fingered Nigel.” Will looked down at Nigel's hands to find that he had all fingers intact.

            “And why may I ask is that?”

            “I don't believe that is any of your business,” Nigel responded with a smirk as he poured himself a glass from Will's pitcher.

            “I would prefer you didn't touch my spirits then,” Will said, taking hold of the pitcher and moving it further down the counter to keep from Nigel's reach. He faced forward to focus on his drink once more and Nigel laughed.

            “I see,” Nigel said. “So perhaps it isn't lady troubles after all.” Will tried to steady his breathing, knowing somehow that Nigel had guessed at what his true troubles were. Even if he was a stranger, Will was not thrilled for the possibility of anyone knowing. “I know plenty of men with such troubles. I assure you it is nothing to be ashamed of, boy.”

            “I don't know what you speak of,” Will said calmly. “Nor do I wish to. And I am not a boy.”

            “At least I did not mistake you for a girl.” Will remained silent and Nigel continued on. “Tell me then, is it as interesting as being with a lady? Or have you never been with a lady before?” More silence and Nigel chuckled. “I see, so never with a lady. It must be excellent than if you have not ventured out for a woman in that manner. But then, here you are, drinking away your emotions in spirits. Is it that you are beginning to regret your choice of love or is it that they have regretted you? Ah, it must be that they regret you, if you are so indulgent in such liquid demons. I have never known such a feeling myself, but by the looks of you it must be horrid. Is your heart broken then, young man? Is it beyond repair?”