Teaching Him To Say Goodbye

In which John Laurens is Alexander's imaginary friend based loosely off of his dead sister Lauren. John is fading away.

"John, go away," Alex said to me, pushing his book forward on his desk. I stood behind him and lowered my head. My curly brown hair fell in front of my face. I had big, bright, brown eyes and long hair. Alexander always wanted a brother, but when his little sister died when he was four, he made me.

"I wanna play," I said quietly. He shook his head.

"No, I'm reading." He sounded angry with me.

"Reading isn't fun." I grumbled. I plopped down onto the floor next to his chair.

"I like reading, so go away." He said.

"Well don't you like me?" I asked, picking up one of his toy airplanes.

"No. I don't." He said. His nose was in his book again.

"Alex, you don't mean that," I whispered. I felt cold.

He spun around to face me. "Yes, I do. Father says you aren't real." I felt like a piece of me was torn out. "You're fake," he yelled, "you aren't real!"

I looked at my hands to see myself fading away. I looked back up at Alex, he was reading again. "Alex," I started, breathless.

"Save it John," he didn't look at me, "you're not real."

A tear fell down my cheek as I faded away for good.

"Goodbye John," Alex whispered.