Chapter 5 - Something Like Nothing

"You're going to focus, Julianne. No pair of green eyes are breaking your stride today. And you will not think of him." I dragged myself out of bed and into the bathroom, splashing some cold water onto my face before brushing my teeth.

If yesterday Emmett had tapped into my weaknesses and left me feeling a mess, it would be the last time he did so, because I was not going to let him do it again. It had been much too long since I had loved him, and now I was determined to feel nothing.

Nothing but aggravation.

Downstairs I poured and creamed a decently sized cup of coffee as much needed fuel, and I walked back up the stairs again carefully, knowing I was more susceptible to tripping when I had something fragile in my hands.

Twenty minutes later I was ready and walking out of the house, when I realized, that it would be alright today. I turned the volume up louder so that the thoughts in my mind became a soothing blur.

I would pay attention in my classes and I would study without breaking my train of thought, even if yesterday such a simple thing had seemed impossible. And after that I'd go home and enjoy the night off, staying in to watch a few episodes of whatever show I felt like watching until whatever time I could keep my eyes open.

That would be my day. I was mapping it out before it even started. Blessed would have to be the person that tried to get in my way.

And Emmett wouldn't be bothering me again. He wouldn't be.

Determined, I donned a pair of tinted aviators and drove.

***

After lunch with Maddie I had nothing more to do than go home, and it was all I wanted. I was pleasantly tired from a day well spent at the university, as I had aced a difficult exam, laughed, read, and had too much caffeine in between classes.

A cute guy had asked for my number, too. I hadn't actually given it to him, but that did not take away from the satisfaction.

And all the while as I had driven home, I thought about my lunch with Maddie and what she had observed. "You seem distracted lately," she had said. I had just laughed at her and dismissed it, choosing not to tell her what had been on my mind. It was as if I said his name to her in a conversation, it would make his return all the more real.

I chose to put that thought away instead.

Walking inside my house I headed for the stairs, had a quick shower and came down in a bath robe to find my mom setting down her purse over the kitchen counter.

She looked up to see me and smiled. "I'm about as exhausted as they come. I need some ice cream or something. And a man."

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Wouldn't that cause more exhaustion?"

"I'll make a kind exception this time."

"How thoughtful of you. Try to make the man Dad, okay. I don't promote infidelity."

She laughed, which had me follow suit, and we looked like fools by the counter, one in a robe and the other in scrubs.

"We're so stupid," she laughed, and looked down at her watch to check the time. It was strange to me because I knew that she only did so if she was nervous. Her current watch was more for show than anything. She hated to actually have to look down at the thin lines and try to find in them a meaning. For that, she would say, she had her phone.

I just ignored it and went about getting myself a glass of water. I was starting to fill the glass when I heard her voice behind me.

"What do you think of running an errand for me?"