Chapter 8 - Something Greedy

As we were going wherever he was taking me, I started to feel it. The force of my ever-working mind as it woke up and realized what was taking place.

Once again I found myself in Emmett's car, speeding along highway lines as if there were no road beneath us, and once again I found myself anxious to the core. Overwhelmed because he was here, breaking my carefully constructed routine and clouding my senses as he had always so expertly done.

But I could have said no. I could have refused him and told him to leave, that I would not, ever, go with him anywhere as long as I breathed. Yet I was here, letting him take me wherever he pleased and giving to him every sense of control. 

I still did not know why I had done it. But then his words played out in the back of my mind and I wasn't far from my answer. There is no one else I would rather be around, and I don't want to be alone tonight. So come with me.

His tone had stirred me. The raw honesty and the... the plea. A plea, which in turn, was followed by a command. But he had not been abrasive, he had simply wanted, and so he had made that known.

I don't want to be alone tonight.

I could remember wanting the same thing when I had told him that I loved him, when he went away without a word to me. Remembered the pain that had broken my heart, and the humiliation that had torn my pride and my confidence.

And yet here I was because I didn't want him to have to be alone. Because, in that silly proposal I had caught a glimpse of the best friend I used to have, and the young man I used to love.

It was pathetic and stupid and reckless. It had eighteen year old Julianne written all over it. The unconditional giving, the stupid selflessness.

I looked outside my tinted window and into the bay, at the purple lights that sparkled down onto the water from the iconic downtown bridge.

Shutting down the pain that I had revisited just now, for the first time in what seemed like forever, would be impossible. But I would not show him the pain I was harboring or the toll this night was taking on my emotions. I would give him my company just this once, and nothing else.

"Where are we going?" I asked, looking forward.

I felt him turn his head momentarily to look at me, and then his eyes were on the road again, driving with a single hand, relaxed into the seat.

"I thought you'd be in the mood for dessert. Ice cream."

I nodded softly. "That sounds good."

We lapsed into silence again. I reached for the circle that controlled the volume.

"May I?" I asked, catching a glimpse of him.

He nodded. "It's connected through bluetooth, so you change the music through my phone. Cupholder."

Sure enough, I looked down at the cupholder and saw his iPhone there, but I didn't touch it. Instead I raised the volume, wondering why he would tell me I could change the music when he was playing this.

Taking the liberty, I turned the volume up high enough so that it soothed me, and I relaxed into the chair.

"It's good to know you still have good taste in music. New York didn't change it." I was smiling at that, and I could see the curve of his own lips through the corner of my eye.

They were fine lips, running thin at the upper and dangerously thicker at the lower. The sensuality of his mouth was a given, but there was something pretty in his lips, something I could not grasp.