Chapter 31 - Something With Potential

"Come on, sweetheart." Something warm was taking over my body, spreading all throughout me. I sunk into the feeling and closed my eyes once more. A distant thought in my head registered that I was being lifted, held by a pair of strong, supportive hands. I only made a sound in my throat, but I didn't stir.

We were moving up. He was moving us up, and I knew he was climbing stairs. Then I was in his bed, and I cuddled the sheets around me to keep the warmth locked in my body. The room felt so cold since we had left it.

With the cool pillow against my cheek, and the dipping of the bed as he sank down into the mattress beside me, I was able to drift away again, but my heart kept beating quickly, frightening me into my dreams.

I looked up. There was a jet flying over my head, sending gusts of wind to unsettle my hair and shake my posture. I stumbled to the ground of the tarmac, and tried to get myself back up again. Then the sky disappeared and the plane was gone. Emmett came into my view. He was here, right next to me, but the feeling didn't leave. The feeling persisted enough to make me weak and feverish, sweat coursing over my flesh inside even the coldest hospital rooms.

Will he be okay? I asked, but I didn't recognize the person in the bed that I was looking at. Suddenly sounds went off. Beeps from the monitors, a hundred phones and all the voices from the televisions, risen to their highest volumes so that they clashed against my ears.

Then he was gone. Everyone was gone. I crouched by myself, on the floor, and I couldn't get up.

I shot up from the bed and felt a whimper leave my throat. Breaths came out of me in deep, heaving pants, while the sweat from my dreams became a reality.

"Jules?" came his voice. He patted the empty space beside him and sat up immediately, his hand crashing against my arm in search of me.

"I'm here," I said, hating myself when my voice sounded torn.

"What happened?" he asked, shifting closer to me and enveloping me in his hands. He didn't let me go, holding me against his chest and feeling over my arms as though reassuring himself that I wasn't lying.

"Just a bad dream," I said, unmoving in his embrace.

"What can I do?"

I knew exactly what I wanted him to do. What I needed him to do.

"Get inside me," I whispered.

His hand quickly went to the space between my legs. "Inside you? Now."

"Yes. Please, Emmett."

He untied my robe and bared me in the darkness, cupping my breasts with his hands. Then he placed me onto my back and assumed his position above me, sliding into my body with one perfect, fulfilling motion.

I spread out for him, taking as much of him into my hands and body. He held me to him as he took me, and wiped away those nightmares of his absence. For now, he was as close as he could be, and I broke into a thousand pieces around him as he thrusted, loving me deep into the midnight.

***

I prepared waffles in a smart appliance he had, while he brewed coffee and cooked a few strips of bacon. I began to cut a few slices of melon and papaya, placing them into a bowl at the counter.