Chapter 19 - Something Claimed

I had gone to the mall after school had ended and bought a few inexpensive pieces of clothing that were casual and comfortable enough for the weekend's activities. Activities that I tried very hard not to dwell on, because the second that I did, a hundred blaring red alarms started to go off in my head, warning me that I was in deep, deep, inescapable trouble.

That was not altogether true. Trouble could be escaped from in due time, but time seemed to be running so strangely that I wondered if I was even able to run.

I occupied myself with as much homework as I could, nearly finishing everything that I needed to complete, but the time came when I had to get ready for the lounge.

The dress of choice today was a deep royal blue. The makeup a soft neutral lip that contrasted against bolder eyes. My hair fell down in ashen waves in which I threw a few sparkling pins, and I was finished for the night.

The phone started ringing, and I picked it up and put it to my ear without a glance at the caller's name.

"Hello," I said, fetching my purse and throwing into it a lipstick.

"Julianne, I'm outside."

I ran to the window and looked out at the already darkening evening. There it was. The beautiful black Bentley.

"I see that," I murmured, closing the shutters. "I guess that you're coming with me to the lounge?"

"That's right," he said. "If you would like me to, of course." There was a smirk in that voice, and it had me narrowing my eyes instinctively.

"Sure." I said, keeping my voice leveled. I hung up and took my time, deliberately and extensively, before I left the house. When I walked outside I expected to find him in his car, but I bumped into his body the second I opened the front door. A hard body it was, and he held me reflexively as I staggered from the force of impact.

"You'll kill me one day," I accused. "Scared me half to death. You were in your car just a second ago when I looked out the window."

He rolled his eyes. "You're in one of your moods."

"Oh, yeah? Which one would this be?"

He smiled at me, taking my hand to lead me to his car. "You're feeling witty and powerful today. Or better yet, more witty and powerful than you usually do."

"Lies."

"No, not lies. Truths. You're looking at me right now and I don't know if you want to kiss me or attack me."

I laughed at this and opened my own door, stepping inside the car with a grin. "I'm glad I keep you on your toes."

•••

It was incredibly hard to sing when the man that occupied your dreams and your nightmares was staring at you from across the room with a scotch in hand and a smile on his lips.

It was even harder to sing when it felt as though every word was for him, and when you began to suspect that in some way he was aware of that.

But it was most difficult to sing when the man, whom you tried so hard to fight, was causing smiles of their own to form on your own mouth, and giving your heart slight palpitations that seemed to synchronize with the music.