Chapter 20 - Something Silent

Mornings were a curse. There was no use in trying to understand how anyone could possibly chose to wake up at this time without being forced to. My eyes were half shut, and I was an irritated grizzly whom didn't want to be poked.

Silently, I hailed my miniature luggage inside the trunk of the black car, and walked to the passenger side. I could feel his eyes, amused, over me as I moved. When I entered I closed my eyes, but I knew I would not fall asleep. I didn't know how to nap.

It was either all or nothing, and falling asleep beside Emmett, whose mere presence had me wired, was impossible.

I heard him as he came inside, turned on the car. A hand touched my hair softly, then brushed against my cheek. Suddenly he poked me, and a growl came from deep inside my throat.

"Stoooooooop," I complained.

He chuckled softly, pinching my cheek a single time before retreating. "Would coffee make it better?"

"Do you need air to breathe?"

He laughed at that, and I could feel the car as it inched away from my house. My parents were inside, completely and happily asleep.

Once I had a large cup of coffee in my hands, and had consumed a good half of it, I sat upright. We were already speeding past on the turnpike and I hadn't even noticed the transition. Time went by in silence, with a soft lull of country music on the radio. It was almost like a battle to me, who would speak first and break the silence.

He broke it, not thinking so much about it as I did. "We woke up early so that we could take our time at the park and get to everything that you want to see. If we finish early enough we can go out tonight."

I nodded slowly. "Go out where?"

"Anywhere."

I nodded again, sipping the last bit of my coffee. "That sounds fine," I said. "How long is the car ride?"

"About three hours and a half on a good day."

I threw my head back and sighed. "Oh my goodness."

He looked at me for a split second, and I could see the beautiful smile over his mouth that had my heart stutter in surprise.

"Does it sound so bad to be stuck in a car with me for more than thirty minutes? I promise I'll entertain you."

"It's not that," I said, smiling softly. "It's just a long time, and I want to get there already."

Another dose of surprise ensued when he took my hand and brought it to his lips. He placed it down again and continued with his drive, one hand on the steering wheel, the rest of his perfect body relaxed into the seat. Softly and under his breath he started to sing along with Jason Aldean, and my heart squeezed into itself as I watched and listened. To my right the trees were passing by in an evergreen blur against pristine blue skies. The road underneath us was like a racetrack's, blurring as much as the trees did.

"Don't you think we're going a bit fast? What if you get pulled over?" I asked, biting my lip.

"Then I'll pay the ticket. And no, I don't."

I rolled my eyes, but I knew that he wasn't driving recklessly. He was a good twenty miles above the speed limit according to my guess, driving still as though it were the easiest thing for him.